Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, January 25, 2021

Rudolph day Challenge 2021# January

Well it has been a strange year, and I didn't get around to entering the extra challenge in December for anyone who had posted every month, although I did qualify. But I am going to try to do it again this year so here is my first card of 2021.

I have cased a card made by Liz Smith. I can't give you a link as it was on a closed group which I am a member of. Her's was done using a robin image.

This uses a metal stencil from Sweet Poppy stencils. I am not very clever with stencils but I was advised to try some  Sweet Poppy brushes, (almost identical to  much cheaper make-up brushes available from Amazon), and they did make a huge difference.

I needed to cut a circle frame the exact size of the stencil first to stamp my image in - reindeer and trees by Chocolate Baroque - and then a mask for the image and also the moon, while I dusted DI over the entire stencil.

I wasn't happy with the stamped image so I added some extra colour using a water brush and DI ink.

I stencilled two little trees in the bottom corner to hide a smudge of ink!

The sentiment is from a set by Hero Arts, stamped with Distress Oxide evergreen bough, and I added two tiny stencilled snow flakes in the same colour. I added a little glitter glue to the snowflakes and trees and around the deer's feet.

It was a bit of a fuss to do, but I think I'll be trying it again with a different, and perhaps a bit smaller, image.

So I'll link this up with the Rudolph Day Challenge over at Scraps of Life with Scrappy Mo. I hope it is the start of a good year of Christmas card making.

As the stencil was new at the end of last year, and inked for the first time, I am also linking this to the NEBUS Challenge. (Never Before Used)


9 comments:

Liz said...

Your Christmas card is so pretty, Kate. I really lovely design. xx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful stencil work and I love the wonderful scene inside the ornament design.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful bauble! I love the variety of greens you’ve used in the greenery! Thank you so much for sharing with the first 2021 Rudolph Days Challenge!
Linda, DT

kiwimeskreations said...

What a sweet card Kate, and it's always good to try new techniques and styles of card making
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Sue - said...

Beautiful Kate! I am so jealous you’ve got that stencil . I saw so many lovely cards made with it but it has been out of stock for ages.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A Stunning card Kate, love the stencilling and the reindeer, such pretty details to show it off.
Faith x

Darnell said...

That bauble stencil is fabulous and I love your beautiful blue and green coloring, Kate! The little scene that you created and the way you hid your smudge are just awesome! Well done getting a start on your 2021 stash! (It's so nice not to have to type the number for last year ever again!!!) Thank you for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Keep safe and take care! Hugs, Darnell

LesleyG said...

Beautiful card Kate xxx

scrappymo! said...

This card is so pretty, Kate. The scene is lovely and I really like the additional trees you added. No one else will know why they are there. They look like they should be there!

Thanks for taking part in the first Rudolph Days Challenge of this year.