Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, June 25, 2021

Rudolf Day Challenge for June 2021

I have been busy with other projects for my new Grand-daughter but I wanted one card ready for the Rudolph Day Challenge, so once again I turned to my Silhouette Cameo machine. It is too hot here now for lots of stamping and colouring etc, but I can manage to cut something with my machine. I bought a few new cut files from the Silhouette store recently and one of them was this reindeer mandala.

I wanted to use different colours for each round so I spent some time playing around with it in the software, to make separate files for each section.

I resized it making it small enough to fit on a 15 cm square card, which made some of the cuts very intricate so I decided to cut them from vinyl, as it is an easier medium to use than card.

I have started using a different make of blades instead of the Silhouette ones as my machine is now out of guarantee so it doesn't matter. They have good write ups on various Facebook pages I follow and I must say I am very pleased with it so far. This delicate cut worked perfectly first time, and it wasn't too difficult to weed out the unwanted parts.

I chose gold vinyl for the snowflakes and cut them first. Then used transfer tape to lift them all together and place them on the base card (not quite centrally as I wanted space at the top for a sentiment). Then I used dark brown for the larger reindeer - not black as they look in the photo!, and fitted them between the snowflakes, and finally I cut the inner ring of smaller deer with a light brown vinyl. See how well it has cut the antlers and snowflakes.

I chose an old sentiment stamp and heat embossed it in gold, but it isn't perfect as the card was too textured.

Then because I like a bit of bling on Christmas cards, I added some sparkly gems to the centre of each snowflake and a group of three in the lower corner to balance the sentiment. So there we have it, and I could easily make more the same or in other colourways, should I need to.

So now it is time to link up with Rudolph Day Challenge # June, on Scraps of life by Scrappy Mo.

5 comments:

Sue - said...

Love it! It looks so intricate to make. I’ve never thought if using vinyl on a card. Must try it - I know I have some hidden away somewhere!

kiwimeskreations said...

Amazing work Kate - this is a stunning card!!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

It looks like a lot of hard work went into the making of this gorgeous card Kate. Thanks you for taking part in the Rudolph Days challenge this month.

Sue xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
you are so clever with your Silhouette machine.
I have a Brother Scan and Cut and very rarely use it as it seem too much hard work to work out wverything I rather prefer dies I don't have to use my brain too much as all the work is done for you.
I guess I am just lazy.
Love your very beautiful card and the wonderful colours used.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

scrappymo! said...

This is a stunning design, Kate. You always have such lovely cards.
Congratulations on your new grandchild!

Thanks for taking part in the June Rudolph Days Challenge.