Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Saturday, September 25, 2021

Revisiting old techniques for Rudolph Day#September.

I was not sure whether there would be a challenge this month but I decided to make a card or two anyway. I have seen several posts recently of cards made using alcohol inks on Acetate instead of glossy card which I am more familiar with, so I decided to have a go. (There are plenty of youtube videos on this if you are interested).

I was surprised to find my inks were still fine, as it is years since I last  used them. The only ones that had discoloured were the metallic mixatives, and as I couldn't find anywhere around here that sells them, I ended up buying a set of three of a different make from Amazon.es. It turned out they were not really mixatives (language problem, lost in translation!), so they tended to stay where I put them and I used a pointed stick to move them around a bit.

I used two techniques for applying the ink to the acetate, first by dripping it on directly and adding drops of blender and letting it do its own thing, This resulted in the darker panels on two of my cards. The other two, which are lighter I used a felt applicater and 'pounced' it onto the acetate. It took several layers to get enough colour to show.


Then I cut two European size base cards (17 x 11.5cms), one A6 and one 13.5 cm square. I used a large embossing folder of holly to make the next layer for three of them, and then cut panels of the acetate and attached one to each card, edging them with ancient gold peel-offs.

Then I turned to my dies and cut the Memory box Holly swirl, and an ornate tree (maker unknown), and made a green mat for the swirl in my Silhouette cameo soft ware. I mounted these over the inked panels on two cards and added a die-cut sentiment.

For the third one I used an Altnew set of layered stamps and matching die to make the poinsettia and aded gold foliage from a Crafter's Companion set.


The fourth one is a bit different because I used a smaller piece of inked acetate to cut out two layers of a ponsettia, and added two filigree layers from gold mirri-card and red card. This was a set purchased for my cutting machine from a private designer via Facebook. I layered it up and added some gold holly sprays, also a file in my Silhouette library,  and a small peel off sentiment.

Now I will link up with Scrappy Mo for the September Rudolph Day Challenge.

9 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

All are so very gorgeous!

Chris said...

These are beautiful, the alcohol ink backgrounds are stunning, love the vibrant colours.
x

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Beautiful cards and a grewat technique. I don't have any alcohol inks but I recently did something similar using alcohol pens. It turned out okay but nothing a good as the effect that you've achieved here x

Liz said...

Beautiful cards, Kate. Your alcohol backgrounds are amazing. xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Wonderful cards Kate - love the vibrance of the alcohol inks - I have a stash that I must show some love to, and these are inspiring me to get them out
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Beautiful cards Kate and a great technique. I really must get my Alcohol inks out and use. Thank you for joining in the fun at Rudolph Days this month.

Sue xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
MY that technique looks very stunning and such pretty colours too.
Your designs look very brilliant and the dies used are so pretty.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Well I have caught up on your beautiful cards, not just this one, but further back and I love them. You are so clever with the Cameo Kate. The ink effect on this is wonderful, a Super effect. Love the different cuts too, Super cards.
Faith x

linda said...

Beautiful and festive holiday cards, Kate! thank you so much for sharing with the Rudolph Days Challenge.
Linda, Rudolph Days Challenge DT