Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, June 24, 2022

Rudolph Day Challenge # June 2022

Recently I saw a card I liked on a Facebook page. The lady who posted it had made a design for her Cricut machine. This is similar to my Silhouette Cameo but I think the software is much more restrictive. Anyway I cannot use Cricut files in my Silhouette, so I looked up the link where she said she had found the original design. This was by a designer called Iced Images, and the card design is called Z-fold pop-up block card. She does not design for a machine but measures and cuts everything by hand. Her video tutorial was good, so although she was working in inches, which I left behind many moons ago, I followed her step by step and made a birthday card that I was quite pleased with. (Unable to show it yet).

But I realised that it would be a lot easier if I cut it all in cms on my machine, so I set about making my own file for Silhouette, changing the dimensions of each piece slightly to fit my usual base card (17 x 11.5cms). I used this to make a second birthday card and was very happy with the results, so I now have a file in my library that I can use at any time. And I used for my Christmas designs this time.

For my first card today I chose a sheet of scrapbook paper from my extensive collection on the computer, and down sized it to give the effect I wanted.

The santa was made from some clipart pictures merged together, resized and cut from glossy black vinyl.

I cut the background twice so I could continue it across the front and side panels. I chose some navy card snippets for the mats, and finished it off with a silver peel-off sentiment and some randomly placed stars.

I then decided to have a second go while I was on a roll and this time I used some dark red card for the mats, red patterned paper from a magazine, and a pale pink sheet from a give-away. It has probably been in my files for years.

All the panel designs were cut using files from my Cameo library, mostly bought from the Silhouette store, using green and red vinyl.
So I will be linking these up to The June Rudolph Day Challenge at Scraps of life by scrappy mo.

5 comments:

cebelica said...

Beautiful cards.

Linby said...

wow! Two wonderful designs. I do love Santa with a sleigh on a card but I also love the pretty red and green on the second card.

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
What a very clever person you are to adapt a design for your cutting machine.
I love both cards they look stunning and so beautifully made.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Whisper said...

Absolutely delightful and thanks for joining us at June's Rudolf Days Challenge, Luv Sam x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I thought I had commented on these fabulous cards Kate, anyhow, clever you to adapt inches to cm and make a template too. I have templates for 5x7 and 6x6, makes it so much easier to size in Silhouette. I LOVE the split Santa on your card and the wonderful design. Your second looks so different, with the different papers. I love the fact you used vinyl too. Fabulous.
Faith x