Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Happy Twosday

Well yesterday (Tuesday) was fairly significant as its date could be written 22.02.2022 which is a palindrome i.e.it reads the same forwards and backwards, and if it is written in squarer digital numbers it is also an ambigram which means it reads the same upside down!

However it was a more significant day in our family as it was our youngest son's 35th birthday. (Pity it wasn't his 22nd!) So I made him a 'Happy Twosday' card. 
He happens to be a fairly talented musician, especially singing with his piano, so that is what his card featured. This is the front of it which was inspired by several cards I have seen online.

All the script was made using a font called Passions Conflict. I made it in my Silhouette Cameo software and cut it from glossy vinyl. The music was a cut file purchased from the Silhouette store, and the piano keys were sized and cut in the software. The flowers were die-cut from a tiny plate of different flowers that I bought years ago but have never used. I think it may be by Presscut but I am not sure. (Now I am about to use it again for another card so perhaps it wasn't a bad buy after all).

The inside was inspired by a random Youtube video I found by someone whose YT channel is called I am a Bird. They showed a plain pop-up grand piano and a line drawing of the layout and which lines to cut or fold. It was free to use so I copied it and uploaded it into the Cameo software, where I was able to turn it into a cutting file. Although the original was cut by hand, I would have struggled to do that well, but in the Cameo it cut with no problem. Once put together I felt it was too plain, so I then went into the design page again on the cameo and made slightly smaller cut outs of all the front facing pieces and cut them from the nearest paper I had to a wood-effect. I drew a tiny keyboard and added that, and then searched the internet for the inside of a grand piano. I used the best one I could find and reshaped and re-sized it to fit in my piano. Then I hand cut a strip of toning patterned paper to cover the stool.

I added some music notes cut from vinyl on the machine, and some diecut flowers, and also added the Happy Tuesday Ben and numbers cut from vinyl using the same font. I have a huge folder of vinyl off cuts which I usually use with the cameo, not dies, but it worked well so it was a good way to use some of them up.

He was very pleased with it and made this little video to put on facebook which he is happy for me to add here, but I haven't been able to make blogger accept it!.

I am linking this to Darnell's NEBUS Challenge #35 (the flower dies had never been used),
The Allsorts Challenge #64, I love..playing with designs in my cameo software.






12 comments:

Pauline C said...

Wow this is absolutely amazing ... so much clever detail and so creative. I bet your son was absolutely thrilled! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge this week
Pauline x

Darnell said...

Hi Kate! Wonderful to see you! I am just blown away by your piano card for your talented youngest son! I thought the outside was fantastic with the keys and your special greeting, but when I saw the inside, my mouth dropped open! Just WOWZAPALOOZA!! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

brenda said...

What a very striking card, I am sure your son loved it, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

B x

Linby said...

I thought this card was so lovely and original, then I saw the inside - WOW! Well done on converting this to a cut file for your cameo, it looks incredible and I am sure your son was blown away by it.
Thanks for taking part in my challenge theme of I love at Allsorts this week.
Lynn x

Carol L said...

I am just in awe of how you created this one-of-a-kind incredible birthday card for your son! I thought the outside was clever and unique but when opened, all I can say is fabulous! You made a treasured keepsake for your son's birthday and I'm sure it will always be cherished! Well done!

Sarn said...

Hi Kate

This is a totally AMAZING card - no wonder your son was pleased with it.

Grab a comfy chair in the Playground Treehouse and I'll bring you a nice cup of coffee and a slice of cake! You deserve it. Grade A homework for Miss Di! xxx

Mervi said...

Gorgeous and stunning card!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Absolutely amazing Kate, you really are a MASTER/MISTRESS of the Cameo, everything is so detailed and beautiful, of course your son loved it. I love the greeting on the front and the piano paper is perfect.
Faith x

Crafts-by-Alison.blogspot.com said...

Stunning card love the design. Thanks for joining us over at Allsorts this week. Good luck and we hope to see you again soon x

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh my goodness Kate this is amazing - what a fabulous card!! you are so clever with your cameo.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Liz said...

WOW, what an amazing creation, Kate. I'm sure your son was thrilled to receive it. xx

Di said...

WOW Kate - this is absolutely stunning! What an amazing piece of work - and I bet your son was thrilled with it. Great to see you in the Snippets Playground!

Hugs

Di xx