Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, February 25, 2022

Rudolph Day Challenge # February 2022

I mentioned last week that not many of the cards I received this Christmas really inspired me to make any, but I had one that I liked and I decided to make my own version of it. This is the front of the card I received.


And this is the one I made.

I started by scanning the card into my computer and making a cutting file for the town skyline, adding some different, more solid palm trees, and welding it to an oval aperture so I could cut the window out. Then I positioned this over a base card and cut it out. I did this five times but with the first one I made a mistake. I had added a dashed line for the central fold and forgot that when I made my image into a compound path in the cutter software, it turns it into a solid line so it cut my card in half. Not wanting to waste the side with the image on, I just cut it again on the other side and when they were assembled I glued them onto a plain navy base card, so I ended up with six cards instead of five. That might not make a lot of sense to anyone who has never used a plotter-cutter machine, but I am very used to using my Silhouette cameo for most of my cards, so I knew how to save the situation).

Next I cut snippets of yellow paper to go behind all the windows.

For the sky I found a paper from an old scrapbook kit and downsized it to fit six onto an A4 sheet of paper.


I glued one behind each opening in my cards.

On the original card  the script and the figures were printed in silver, but I used black glossy vinyl which cuts so well in my Cameo machine. I generated the script using Passions Conflict font, which is quite fancy but just 'solid' enough to cut out, as long as it is not too small. I have several sets of the Mary, Joseph and donkey in my Cameo library so they were easy to make. 

And because I like a bit of sparkle on Christmas cards, I added just a touch of glitter glue to the larger stars.  You can't see it in the photos but it is there. 

And thereI have it. Another set of six cards for my stash. I am off to a good start this year.

So I am linking up with Rudolph Day # February   and

Peace on Earth Christmas Challenge#10 

7 comments:

Liz said...

Stunning cards, Kate. I love the design. xx

Diane said...

Wow beautifully impressive cards, you are a pro on your silhouette! Thank you for joining our challenge at Peace On earth!
Diane POE DT {Nellies Nest}
{Peace On Earth}

kiwimeskreations said...

Great work Kate - love how you took the original and CASED it so beautifully.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Oh wow Kate what a fabulous card. When I first looked at it I thought that the script was printed on, but then I read that this was cut out too. How clever you are.

Sue xx

Darlene said...

WOW! Look at you go! Well done ... these are beautiful! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Peace On Earth Christmas challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often. We appreciate your support!!

Darlene
PEACE ON EARTH CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

P.S. If I hadn’t already mentioned it, just wanted to let you know that we have another new challenge blog. This time it’s all about using your EMBOSSING FOLDERS. I hope you’ll come check us out and play along at CAN YOU HANDLE THE PRESSURE. Hope to see you there!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I've said it before I'll say it again, you really are Brilliant at the Cameo, maybe I will catch up one day? Your card(s) is fabulous, really Christmassy and I love it.
Faith x

Whisper said...

WOW what a gorgeous traditional scene and thanks for joining us February's Rudolph Days Challenge, Luv Sam x