Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Digistamps or rubber?

This is my first venture into the world of digistamps. The ABC Christmas challenge this week was F for Freebie, and the idea was to use a given sketch and a free digital stamp provided by Stamp Fairy. While using a digistamp does not give you quite the same effect or satisfaction that using a rubber stamp does (it is almost too perfect!) it does have the advantage that you can resize it to whatever dimensions you want. So I started my card by cutting a circular frame using an old holly corner punch and a carefully calculated circular template. I worked this out years ago having watched a demonstration at the NEC, and now have templates for several of my punches, stored on my computer. (I am thinking about cutting a really perfectly positioned one and programming my craftRobo to cut them in the future). I then measured across the centre of this and adjusted the stamp size to fit nicely in it. I printed it out four times, coloured it and did some gentle layering. Then I selected a couple of complimentary papers and put it all together following the given sketch, and here is what I made.


Of course the other advantages of using digistamps are that they are considerably cheaper than rubber stamps, they don't need storage space, and there are now thousands of lovely designs available on the web, so I will certainly be using them again, but I am sure rubber stamping will remain my first love.
This card will be entered in the ABC Christmas challenge, and you can see the other entries here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ya! Wow your first digi! Awesome job! So please you desided to join us and also enter the world of digi's I love rubber stamping too! But digi's have an equal place for me... I also design for stamp fairy as Gerda's images are brilliant so glad you enjoyed joining in our ABC Christmas challenge... Hope to see you next week I think you will love next weeks challenge wink wink hug Samantha :0)

Saskia said...

I've never used a digistamp before but I do use a lot of other free pictures from the web. Well, not much difference actually except they're already coloured. They do come in handy sometimes.
Lovely card you've created with that stamp.

Max said...

I have a gazillion images on my computer ... but confess to forgetting all about them until I've already grabbed the ink and rubber lol! This is a lovely layout and super colour combination.
Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

Delphine said...

Such a beautiful card, Kate! I love the circle with the punched holly and the dimension you have added to your image! Gorgeous papers too! Thanks for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge and good luck! Delphine xx

Jayne Hayward said...

Great work with your first ever digi image. Love the colours used and the dp.

Thanks for joining in with us on ABC Christmas Challenge

Jayne xx

Carissa said...

Wow, great job with your first digi. I will look forward to seeing what you do next. Thanks for joining us on the ABC Christmas challenge. Carissa:)