Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Rudolph Day: April 2019

Here we go again. This challenge is brilliant. Without it I would have very few Christmas cards in my stash.
I have a friend who make lots of items for charity sales, so folk give her bits and pieces of material, wool etc. But she is not into paper-crafting so when she gets given anything like that, she offers it to me, and a few weeks ago she asked if I would like some small cards she had been given. They were all the same and were roughly cut to around the size of a playing card. I could see their potential and gratefully accepted them, but I knew they were the kind of thing that, if they got put into  drawer, they would never see the light of day again, so I decided to use them straight away. 
I don't often use dark brown for Christmas cards but I had some that matched very closely the silhouette image, so I made the base card with that.
Then I cut a silver mirricard frame using a Gina Marie designs  die, and trimmed the small card to fit it. I also cut a silver star.
I found a very old Hero Arts stamp that fitted across the top of the kings.
To break up the background I found tiny pieces of a silver peel off edge to go across the card and mounted the images over it. 
Then I cut a large sentiment from the same silver mirricard using a die (possibly lawn fawn but I'm not sure), and that was it.
Happy with how it turned out, I then used the rest of the image cards to make a matching set and have twelve more cards to add to my stash.
So now I am off to link with the April Rudolph Day Challenge, on Scraps of life by Scrappy Mo.



Monday, March 25, 2019

March Rudolph Day

Once again this is my first post since the last Rudoph Day Challenge, but this month I have been refurnishing, and rearranging my craft room, so hopefully next month I will be more productive.

In February I showed a set of cards I had made with pieces salvaged from cards I had received last Christmas. I kept back one because I wanted to use the idea again. I found a tiny image of a robin that I liked and wanted a way to use it without overwhelming it. That's when I remembered a new set of dies, purchased but not used at the end of last year. It was a set of Spellbinders Nestabilities simply called Decorative, curved square.

I was pleased to find it fitted perfectly on my favourite 13.5 square cards  which I always have in my stash. I cut the larger and the small dies from white card and used distress inks to add colour to them both. I then cut the image with the small die and trimmed the fancy edge to fit in the centre. I used Corel Photoshop to mute the colours on some backing paper and distressed its edges with the same ink.
I knew I had a very old set of Anita's robin toppers and I was able to cut some of them down small enough to fit on this die. So I found a variety of backing papers and inks and two different robins, and made a set of cards. Here are just four of them. The red is a bit 'fierce' but it makes a nice cheerful card.
I also found three different images from a Jayne Netley Mayhew pad, that could be cut to fit so I made these three.
I have only added sentiments to a few of them. I think the others may simply have one inside, but I may change my mind and add one later.
When I had used up all my little images I found I had thirteen cards. It's a good thing I am not superstitious, and these will make a great addition to my collection.
So I will link this up with Rudolph Day Challenge for March, at Scraps of life by Scrappy Mo, and remember that on 25th of each month, you too can show any Christmas cards that you have made.

Monday, February 25, 2019

February Rudolph day Challenge

Well there was no Rudolph Day Challenge in January so we have had plenty of time to prepare some cards for this month.
When I take my decorations down on 6th January, after the Christmas festivities, I gather all my cards together and look through them once more. There are always many that I don't want to throw away, but obviously I can't keep them all, so I carefully gather all the ones with images, sentiments, embellishments that I think I could use again... but I never do! I am sure I am not the only one who does this?
So this year, I was much more selective about which ones I kept, and made up  my mind to use them straight away. I always make sure that my cards end up very different from the originals, so I feel there is a 'bit of me' in their design, so here are a few sets I made.

The first set use a simple image with a new frame and new background.

The next ones are now mounted onto rectangular base cards, with added frames and stamping. The lower one is a salvaged frame with a new stamped image in the aperture.
And the final ones are back on my favourite 13.5 square base cards with backing papers and stamping, and heat embossed sentiments. N:B: The stars punched from the border under the shepherds, are dotted around the donkey in the set above. 'Waste not, Want not' as the saying goes.
So I am happy that this year my salvaged pieces have not gone to waste, and I have a nice set of cards to start off this year's collection.
So I will be linking up with February Rudolph Day Challenge at Scraps of life by Scrappy Mo, and then I'll start thinking about March's contribution!!