Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Noel, Noel for Rudolph Day.

Having been on holiday for the past two weeks, the 25th of the month seems to have come round a bit fast, but I have managed to get one card made ready for the Rudolph Day challenge. 
I used a new Sheena Douglass stamp that arrived in the post while I was away. The word as far the camels was one stamp. I stamped it onto an off-cut of plain white card, and added some extra palm trees for balance at the end. Then I made a mask and covered the letters and ground while I dusted on some distress ink. Next I removed the masks and used copic markers to colour the letters and the ground. I used a gold gel pen on the star.
I have a lot of pre-cut cards and envelopes from years ago and the DL ones are all a bit colourful for me, but I am determined to use them up, so I chose a yellow one for the base card. Then I covered most of it up with some blue background paper that I found in my Christmas scrap box.
I trimmed the coloured image panel and added it to the BP, and highlighted the edge of the panel and the BP with very thin gold peel-offs.
Finally I stamped a greeting from a new Stampin´up set.
Considering this was rather a rush job, I was quite pleased with how it turned out, and I hope to get a few more of these made soon.
I am entering this in Scrappy Mo´s Rudolph Day Challenge.
If you are trying to make a start on your Christmas cards too, why not visit her blog and find out all about it.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Happy Birthday Son!!

We have several summer birthdays in our family, so before I went to UK, I made several cards to deliver by hand while I was over there. Today it is our second son Michael´s birthday, so I can now show the card I made for him.
Michael has always rather liked the big cats, so when I saw this Tiger face cutting file on the All Things Silhouette Facebook page, I knew I could use it on his card. (The file was designed by the talented Anne Huxter, and was generously made available to members of the group. She has designed many other animals and her files are on sale at her website Treasured Templates)
I made a bright background using red, yellow and orange brusho inks on a wet paper. I was generous with the ink so some crystals didn´t dissolve completely, but this just gave some texture to the finished project and I quite liked the effect.
The black face lines were cut from vinyl on my Silhouette cameo machine, and I used a wide sheet of transfer paper to place them over the best area of background, which I then cut to fit. I then mounted it onto a white A5 base card.
I used the Salamander Script font to write the greeting in the silhouette software, and resized it to fit across the card, and also cut this from black vinyl. This still left me with too much of a gap, so to fill it, I cut strips of trellis with a Memory box die, from the left over brusho background, and trimmed it to fit above and below the sentiment.
I love the way this turned out, and I am sure Mike does too.