As some of you will know, I am in the throes of rearranging my craft room, and it is a very slow business, mainly because I am easily distracted by stash I haven't looked at for quite a while. One of the things I re-discovered was a big envelope containing calendars from several years ago, all of which I felt at the time, had craft-potential! Among them were a Flower Fairies calendar and a Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady one. For each month they had a picture, and elements for decoupaging them, and two were ideal for my Christmas cards this month.
The first one is from the Country Dairy calendar. I cut the image and elements out. It only has two layers but I added dimension with the careful use of silicone glue, allowing some of the second layer to extend beyond the main image. I wanted to use some pre-cut cards and envelopes I had found, so I looked for a suitable snippet to use as a BP. This red was just too short, so I cut it across and separated it, hiding the gap with a strip of holly border, also from the calendar. I added a bit of glitz with stickles frosting on the leaves, and used a large gel sticker from a set that might have been in my drawer for a decade or more!
I am a collector of Fairies, but only the Flower Fairies of Cicely Mary Barker. In our main room I have a display of 48 collectors plates depicting them, as well as mugs, canisters, cross-stitched pictures etc, so it is no wonder someone gave me a calendar of them. And, of course, the December page depicted the pretty Christmas tree fairy. The two things I love about these fairies is their charming faces, which she drew by sketching the little children in her sister's nursery school, and the poems that accompany each one which are full of accurate botanical details about the flower/plant.
For this card, I chose a BP snippet from my Christmas box, that was covered in sparkly Christmas Trees - possible from a Papermania pad but I am not sure. The image had three layers this time. You cannot see in the photo, but the lower branch is layered and it was quite a game cutting all those pine needles! Again to add a bit of glitz I used stickles around the hem of her dress, a gold glitter pen on her star and wand, and a Wink-of-stella gilt pen on her wings. Another fairly ancient addition is the green and gold sentiment banner, which I balanced with a dark green bow and a tiny silver tree charm, tinted with butterscotch alcohol ink as the other 'extras' are gold.
I wasn't sure I would be able to join in today as our internet was down this morning - apparently because of a power cut in Mojacar! - but we are up and running again now, so now I will link these up with Sarn at Stamping for Pleasure, and also in Pixie's Snippets Playground for the backing papers I used.