Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Greetings

There hasn't been much going on in my craft room for the past couple of weeks as I have been busy fulfilling all my orders for mince-pies, and singing with my choir. You can read all about that on my diary blog Kate's Adventures. I have made five New Year cards which I don't usually do, but I can't show them here as some of the recipients follow this blog. Instead I will leave you with this image of my 'White Mary and Joseph'. This is not a new project; I made them about ten years ago, after watching a very inspiring lady demonstrating at the craft show in NEC Birmingham. Each one is built around a wine bottle, I think with a wire and paper head, and then covered with strips of cotton fabric dipped in runny poly-filler which dries white. I remember scouring all the local charity shops to find a pure cotton sheet to tear into strips. Polyester-cotton doesn't hold the poly filler the same. It was a messy job but well worth it, and the resulting figures are very stable and robust. Many of my new friends in Spain have asked me to do a class to show them how to make some but I will have to do some research first to remind myself, and also try to find an equivalent Spanish filler that dries white.
I had the notion to make a whole nativity scene but I do not have sufficient space to display them. These two sit on my hall table where they are the first thing visitors to the house see, and for me they are the embodiment of what Christmas is all about.

So may I wish all my loyal followers a Very Happy Christmas and I hope 2012 is for each of you, a year full of Love, Hope and Peace.

Kate x

4 comments:

veronica said...

Happy Christmas Kate - and I love your figures!

Di said...

Wonderful figures Kate - wishing you and Chris a very Happy Christmas and that 2012 is a good year for you. Love, Di xxx

Saskia said...

And a wonderful christmas and a happy new year to you and your loved ones too! Thanks for all the sweet comments on my blog this year.
Hugs,
Saskia

Shoshi said...

Hi Kate, thanks for your nice comment on my blog! It was a nice couple of days but I'm suffering the after-effects now and am absolutely shattered... I've got a lot of catching up to do but not much hope of that till I feel better. Hope you have a happy New Year. Hugs, Shoshi