Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Saturday, July 28, 2012

A haven of peace in the garden.

As soon as I saw the theme this month on Craft a Scene was "In the garden", I knew what I was going to do, so why has it taken me nearly four weeks to do it!? I have no idea, but with time rapidly running out on me, and knowing I couldn't face a whole afternoon and evening of Olympic hype (Short and sweet bursts are enough for me!), I sat down today and made this card.


The base card is slightly gloss with a feint printed design in a neutral shade. It is so ancient it's source could be almost anywhere. 
The table and chairs stamp is from the Sheena Douglas plate - A little bit scenic; Sihouette garden. The stone arch and flower pot are from a sheet of Hobby Art clear stamps, and most of the others are from Art Impressions collections. 
I stamped mainly with Memento ink so I could add touches of extra colour with my copic pens.
The foreground, wall, arch and flower tub are layered on 1mm pads, to give depth to the scene, with an extra layer to round the flower tub, though this doesn't show in my photo.
I used my Silhouette cameo machine to cut the frame from one of my label files inside a plain rectangle. The bird swirl is also a silhouette file.
A simple scene that conjures up a sense of somewhere peaceful, with only the bird song to listen to, and of course, some gentle sunshine to make you want to sit there. It did turn out vaguely how I imagined it, and that makes a change for me!


This card is for Craft a Scene July Challenge; In the Garden.

12 comments:

Di said...

Oh Kate, this really is a lovely card - so well thought out, love the combination of stamps you used and the colours work perfectly together. It truly does make you want to sit in such a peaceful haven.

Di xx

kiwimeskreations said...

a wonderful card Kate -so glad it turned out how you envisaged it. I heartly agree with only wanting small doses of the games!
Blessings
Maxine

Begoña said...

Very nice job...I am happy to found you...
Hugs
Bego

Jean said...

A lovely peek into a pretty garden. You have made a lovely scene.I love the bird on a swirl cut out. Jean x

craftimamma said...

Find me a parasol and I would love to sit in your pretty garden Kate. I love the tub of flowers in the foreground and I can see the dimensional effect of layering the tub.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Deanna said...

This is such a lovely and peaceful scene. Beautiful layering and colors.

brenda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brenda said...

Good morning Kate,

It doesn't matter in the least that is taking new this long to enter because it was really worth the wait seeing your stunning card.

Such imaginative and eye-catching use of the hobby art and a little bit sketchy stamps.

Thank you so much sharing your lovely work with us at Craft a Scene this month.

B x

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous Kate! I really want top be sitting there soaking up the sun.

love

Jill
x

Anna-Karin said...

Such a lovely card and a great combination of images. I especially like the little bird. Wonderful soft colours. Thank you for joining us at Craft a Scene this month!

NancyD said...

You have such lovely colors in your garden. Love the flowers and chairs too. Thanks for joining us this month at Craft a Scene. NancyD

Chris said...

This is my card of the year so beautiful