Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tiger, tiger, burning bright...

In my WOYWW post yesterday, I showed some backing card I had made with alcohol inks, and a cut and printed file, so now I can show you what I did with them.
Back in January last year, I did a post about using my craftrobo for scrapbooks. I didn't have many followers back then so you may like to take a look at  the post here. In it I showed pages for a scrapbook I was making for my son Jonathan, and featured a page titled 'Fire'. I am now making a birthday card for him, and perhaps you can see why I chose this image of a fiery tiger!
The image is from the net and I used my Silhouette Cameo machine (I upgraded from craft robo last Christmas) to make a cutting file for the outline. I then printed off the centre part of the image twice, and cut it by hand, though I should really have made print and cut files for this part as well, but sometimes the old fashioned way is faster. I layered up the tiger face over the flames, and then an extra layer for the nose and forehead section, rounding them a little to give them shape, and fixing them together with silicone glue. I glued the entire image to some white card.
Then came the layer using my alcohol background. This was made by pouncing on glossy card using a TH felt applicator and cranberry, butterscotch and red pepper inks. The gold was added using a Krylon pen which is what we used to use before Adirondak brought out the metal mixative inks, but I still prefer it. You can't see it very well in the main photo but this little close up shows it better.
The final layer is the same black paper that I used for the flames.
For the sentiment I used a font called Blazed, which I either bought from scrapnfonts or downloaded for free from dafonts. I honestly can't remember which. It has been in my font file for a very long time.
I then put the assembled card front onto a bright white base card. I hope you like it. I am pretty sure my son will.

By the way, don't forget to take a look at my blog candy, (Top post on this blog. See 'I'm celebrating' in the side bar blog list). You still have time to sign up for it.

10 comments:

Annie said...

Wow. This card is stunning.
Hugs,
A x

Jean said...

Your card has turned out brilliantly, Jonathan will love it.Jean x

veronica said...

gorgeous card Kate, your background fits beautifully

kiwimeskreations said...

Wonderful card Kate - that alcohol ink background is fabulous and the tiger very impressive!
Blessings
Maxine

Di said...

Wow, really striking card Kate! Really eye catching.

Yup, I already plan to change the sentiment to Happy Birthday as I'm not convinced it's a Christmas Rose, perhaps some artistic licence there but not for me :)

Di xx

Di said...

Grin, just thought, unless I send it to an elderly relative with poor eyesight :)

Saskia said...

Wow, that's a cool tiger!

Chris said...

stunning cat love your cards

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Kate, this is a great card for a man! Excellent and unique idea to cut flames out of the tiger face. I love it :)

JoZart Designs said...

Superb card Kate, I'm sure he will love it!
Jo x