Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, November 25, 2013

The Final Rudolph day for 2013!

Yes, this time next month we will have exchanged the gifts, eaten the turkey (some of it anyway), watched the inevitable Disney film, and hopefully visited or at least chatted with family or friends, and maybe some of us will be wondering what it was all about. For me Christmas is a lovely season, when we celebrate the birth of baby Jesus, and the rest is just the trimmings. So while we have four more weeks for those final preparations, this is our last chance to post a card on here for Rudolph Day, and here is mine.

Actually, as you can see, there are two of them! When I was browsing through the files in the silhouette store, I spotted this little image and thought it was quite sweet, so I added it to my basket (as you do!). My cards for UK are all done and dusted, but I still need some more for friends out here, so this week I decided to give it a try. I went through my boxes of snippets looking for off-cuts of pearlised paper as I know that is the best for cutting with my machine. One of the good things about the silhouette is that the carrier mat is marked off with a one inch grid, and when you have loaded your design in the software, you can bring up the grid behind it, so you know exactly where it will cut. This means I can copy the image several times, I did four of these, and put four separate off-cuts of paper on the mat where it will cut, so it is a good way to use up the bits. I hope that makes some sense to the non-users of a cutting machine. Anyway, I found four small pieces of light brown paper to cut the deer, and then some larger pieces of brown for the trees. Unfortunately I only had two pale blue pieces so I had to cut into a new sheet for the other two backgrounds, so I made a new off-cut! Emptying my snippets boxes is a bit like filling a leaky bucket. It aint gonna happen! But not to worry. I had some quite big off cuts of the brown paper so I also cut two frames using a new Die'sire die.


For the first card I cut a narrow brown mat, and put a piece of silver holographic paper between the mat and the background so it shines through the stars and snow. Then I added the tree and deer and mounted it onto a 12cm square card. I see I still need to find a small sentiment stamp to go along the lower edge. For the second card I put the backer directly onto the white base card (15cm square this time), and put glitter glue in the star and snow holes. Then I trimmed the tree and added it with the deer, and put the die cut frame on top. And I did stamp a sentiment on this one. I also used some of the stars cut from the background, to decorate around the edge.
I still have two more sets of images from my cutting session, so for speed I will probably make another one of each of these.

Do you know, the pearl paper that I use for cutting is the same all the way through, so there is no right or wrong side, but it was only as I added these photos, that I noticed I had reversed all the image for one card. I must have been making them in my sleep!
I shall now go and link these up to Sarn's blog at Stamping for Pleasure, and also to Pixie's Snippets Playground.



9 comments:

Jean said...

These are lovely Kate, I love the snowy,starry background especially the one with holographic paper behind.
Jean x

Kathleen said...

Glad it's just not me then. lol
Great cards and love the images, star background is really lovely.

Kath x

Hettie said...

Haa Haa! I would have said it was a design feature that one was back to front! Great cards. Love that image.
You are far more clever with your Silhouette than I am, as I cannot work out how to put small pieces in very well, I often end up with the blade going on the wrong side of the mat!
Hugs
xx

scrappymo! said...

Wish you lived closer...I would see if you gave lessons for hire!!!

Two more lovely cards. That deer is so sweet and the pealized card must make it look fabulous!

kiwimeskreations said...

Gorgeous cards Kate - you are very clever with your machine!
Blessings
Maxine

Saskia said...

Great cards! The tree is gorgeous, really love that image, maybe I should start thinking of a Silhouette myself.

Sarn said...

Perfect Rudolph Day cards here Kate. Love your diecut images and twinkling stars.

Thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Di said...

Wow Kate, fabulous cards! I love what you achieve with your Silhouette - and either way round they look perfect. Such a gentle looking deer too.

Hugs, Di xx

Debs Willis said...

Great cards Kate, I keep thinking about buying a Silhouette but still shying away - your cards are an inspiration!
Hugs
Debs x