Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Recycled circles

I didn't really intend to post any more before my trip to UK tomorrow, but having finished the frame I was making for my son earlier than I expected, (see previous post), I found myself with an evening to spare, so I gave myself the feel-good factor by putting inserts in the set of ten Christmas cards I made for the last Rudolph Day, and then I had a look in my box of bits to recycle from cards we received. One of them had this lovely image in a circle, with the word Christmas written across it, and Blessings on a separate banner below it. Because the wording was an integral part of the image, I had to keep it as it was, but I cut around the top of the circle, and then loosely around the word. I didn't like it much, so in a mad moment I decided to fussy-cut the letters, which took me quite a while, but was worth it. I cut the banner for Blessings as it was, and then I put it away in my WIP folder and forgot it.


On having a second look I thought it had some potential, so I made a background from my lovely Cover-a-page holly stamp from Impression Obsession, stamped with versamark and embossed with Cosmic shimmer bright gold powder. I made a base card for the image and then found my holly was not quite wide enough, so I trimmed it down a bit and made a border for each side using one of my sizzix border dies, and a matching infil die, and some red card from my snippet box.  I assembled the card and noticed one or two berries in the top left corner had not stamped very well, so I used the little red circles from the border die cut, to cover the berries. 
Having just seen Di's entry for Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas Challenge, which this week is 'Going round in circles', I realised that my card fitted the bill too, so I shall link it up, and also link it in Pixie's Snippets Playground, week 118,  then I had better  think about packing my case!
I will try to drop in now and again while I am away, but I am not sure what internet access I will have, nor whether I will manage to do much using my tablet instead of the computer.

7 comments:

Jean said...

This image was certainly worth saving Kate, and you made a great job of fussy cutting the letters to make a lovely card.
I'm looking forward to seeing you next week.
Jean x

Di said...

LOVE this card Kate - gosh that cutting around the word must have taken ages, beautifully done - and such a great background!

Hope you have a lovely trip back to the UK - we have sunshine right now in the Playground, 'specially ordered just for you! Safe travels!

Hugs

Di
xx

Sarn said...

Hi Kate . . . love this traditional Christmas card.

Safe travelling

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Hazel said...

Thanks for entering your lovely card for CHNC challenge 170 - you could also enter this into my CHNC challenge extra for April - I'd love to see it there too. x

scrappymo! said...

This is so lovely. Brilliant idea to use the cast off circles from the diecuts. They look great!

Neet said...

You fussy cut that!!! I am over impressed. Fabulous and such a lot of work. Result well worth it though.

Hadn't realised you were in the UK - was worried that you were not well as I haven't seen you posting.
Hope you have had/are having a good holiday - you brought us some sunshine.

Hugs, Neet xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

ah what clever makes you are creating ... great shares indeed! enjoy your hols :D Shaz in oz.x