Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A man's card with a maritime theme.

Many folk are having problems with blogger right now, but I am going to risk trying to write a post anyway. I suddenly realised that I needed to post a card to my brother who will be 85 in a few days time, and as he used to be in the Navy, (the Fleet Air Arm really), I thought he might like a card with a maritime theme.

I started by choosing a tropical beach photo from the thousand plus that I took on holiday in Thailand six years ago. (I still haven't made the scrapbook!!). In photoshop, I clipped it to a mask from a set called Marina masks, by Black Lady Designs. So this was my background, which I printed out to form the front of my white card.
I then added a seagull in one corner using an very old inkadinkadoo stamp, with a little added copic colouring, and fussy cut it.
The ship in a bottle is a much newer stamp that I bought recently from Creative Expressions. I stamped it in Memento London fog, and coloured it a little with my copic markers. When it was dry I swiped it with a versamark ink pad, dipped it in clear embossing powder, and heated it to resemble glass. I attached it to the background with silicone glue, and stamped a small happy birthday in the bottom corner with a very old Elusive Images (now Chocolate Baroque) stamp.
My card is now winging it's way over to UK and with a bit of luck, it might just arrive in time for my brother's birthday.


7 comments:

Jean said...

A super card Kate, I love the backdrop you made,just perfect for the ship in a bottle stamp.
Jean x

Veerle said...

This is a gorgeous card Kate. Love al the details also the stamped one in the left botom corner, nice.
Greetings from Veerle

veronica said...

love the ship in a bottle! am sure your brother will be very pleased with his card

kiwimeskreations said...

Awesome card Kate - you are so creative with your use of the computer!!
Blessings
Maxine

MaryH said...

Kate, just finished at Sister Jean's blog, and hopped over to see what you had going on. Your card is so striking, and I'm awed that you have used an actual photo as the dp! What a brilliant idea (and equally awesome to know how to manipulate it in PS too!). The added details of the dimensional gull was so realistic, but I'm so impressed by the ship in the bottle. What a marvelous embellishment and your heat embossing with clear certainly did make it look like glass. I'm sure your brother will love it immensely. On the vellum rose: I was testing the printer to see if it would print the digi on vellum. The Epson just runs the vellum through, nothing. Did some research at the website, found the warning "Will not print on Vellum". I was pleased to find this canon will, and it printed very nicely too. I don't use a lot of vellum, but I like knowing that I can if I want to. It does take quite a while to dry however..which is fine, as long as one knows. Happy wkend, and TFS such a lovely card.

Annie said...

Hi Kate thank you for remembering me and visiting my blog. I keep thinking no I'm not blogging anymore but end up drawn back for some reason.
It was good to see an old buddy popping a comment down for me. Thank you.
i love the way you have used a photo on your card here - what a brill idea. It looks great. Hope to see you again soon.
Annxxx

scrappymo! said...

Love the photo on this card. You always amaze me with your computer knowledge!
You did a fab job onthis and it looks so good with the ship in a bottle!
Great card!