Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Autumn Butterflies

THE challenge over at Mrs A's Butterfly blog this week, is to use Autumn colours for your butterfly. 

Well I bought a new set of three mica sprays recently and the set was called Autumn Leaves, so I thought this would be a good chance to try them out. I have to say I was a bit disappointed, because when I had mixed the sprays, (they come in powder form which you mix with hot water), left them a good while to cool, and let the pigments activate, and then sprayed all three randomly onto some white card, I found they were very dark colours, and not, to my mind any way, all that autumnal! One was gold, one a deep copper, and the third was dark blue (for Autumn?!). I also prefer a fine mist for mica sprays and however many times I tried, I could only achieve, 'blobs' of colour. This is my trial sheet.

On the plus side, you can see that when it catches the light, it does have a lovely iridescent shine.
I decided to use it anyway and I cut two different sizes of butterflies using memory box dies. I still felt they were a bit dull, so I then cut the corresponding fancy butterfly for each size, using copper mirricard, and glued them to the sprayed bases. You can't see it is copper. It looks almost black in the photo, but it is actually quite bright.
For the background, I, like many other folk at the minute, had a play with my new Brushos. I used some textured watercolour paper which I made very wet. Following advice on a youtube video I watched, I covered each of my paint pots with aluminium foil, and pricked four tiny holes in each one, and I found this worked perfectly. On my previous attempt I had found it difficult to use a small enough amount of each powder. This time I used yellow, orange and leaf green, and at the last minute I added a touch of red, and let the colours mix together.
I mounted it up on a plain dark brown card, and added a copper peel-off sentiment.
Well I shall now fly over to Mrs A's blog and hope she thinks that my sprays, being called Autumn leaves, are sufficiently Autumn colours for the challenge. To my mind, my background is nearer the mark, but the intention was there!
If, like me, you love butterflies, why not fly over with me and see everyone else's, and maybe even add one of your own.

7 comments:

Mrs A. said...

I love every aspect on your card. The brusho background is perfect. Love the autumn sprays on your butterfly too. Thankyou for fluttering by #15. Hugs Mrs A. (Butterfly challenge).

kiwimeskreations said...

Gorgeous card Kate - love the butterflies, and I can just get a glimpse of the iridescence of them. They mucxt be stunning IRL
Blessings
Maxine

Jean said...

Your card is lovely Kate, and I like the look of your new sprays even though they didn't quite live up to your expectations.The Butterflies are lovely against the vibrant background.
Jean x

veronica said...

glad you are enjoying the brushos - they're really addictive! Actually I think your sprays are autumnal, the test piece looks like a misty morning to me...........and your butterfly card is lovely

Shoshi said...

I think that initial background is stunning, Kate, and it does have an autumnal feel, in my view. As for the dark blue, it's funny how blues and purples can have a dulling effect with browns, and a very subtle result ensues. So I'd say stick with it! It's absolutely lovely.

Love your butterflies, too!

Shoshi

MaryH said...

This is just beautiful. I'm guessing you got the Lindy's sprays, as those ship dry too. I loved your mottled piece shared at the beginning of the post. Have to agree with you on the subdued colors. The names don't match the result to my eye either, but I'm loving these sprays. There is a green patina one (don't remember the name, but it's really pretty). I will have to try to find the Brusho youtube, last time I searched I couldn't find anything. Your flutterby's are gorgeous against this vivid background...really gleam so well with the addition of the mirro overlay. Such fun playing with all these new products. Can't wait until I can get my hands on some of the Brusho stuff. TFS & a beautiful card. Hugs

MaryH said...

Kate, revisited your blog about the Brushos that I remembered from earlier. Mine came last week, and I want to be certain to use them properly. I hope my new background efforts (when I finally get rountoit!) looks so pretty as this one does. Glad if you enjoyed the fall trees. Most the leaves on our pretty maple are on the ground now. TFS