Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, October 26, 2015

Reindeer for Rudolph day.

Finally I am getting back to some semblance of normal, after a long hot summer and lots of visitors, suddenly it is autumn. We have had several days of rain (my visitors timed it well because they had sunshine every day!), and last night the duvet came out,  and today I need a cardigan handy! So hopefully i can also get back to doing some crafting. 
Yesterday I did a quick browse through my very long Bloglovin' list and commented on as many posts as I could manage, so I didn't get my Rudolph Day post written. But the challenge is open until the end of the month, so I can still do it today. Fortunately I knew I would be busy so I made my cards at the beginning of the month!


I noticed that I had a lot of snippets of mirri-card in my box. I always seem to need a new sheet when I want to use it. So I matched up the gold ones (aren't there a lot of different shades of gold!), and cut out a set of frames with matching sentiment frames, and then set about finding something to put in them.


Once again I resorted to using my digi scrapbook kits, and used adobe to make a card layout, resizing a 12" x 12" backing paper to fit a 15cm card , and adding an image from another set, resized to fit in my frames. I also added a sentiment from a third kit, to fit my small frame. This is all a bit time consuming, but the complete card is now saved in my files, so I can quickly print off more should I need them. They just needed to be cut and glued to the front of a basic white card, with the frames added, and a little stikles to add some sparkle. I also glittered a wooden snowflake to go in the top corner.



I started by printing off two sheets and was a bit non-plussed when the second one came out a pinky-mauve. My yellow and blue cartridges were almost empty and only the magenta one was working properly! I thought they still looked quite pretty, so rather than waste them I rummaged through my mirri-card snippets again and found enough pink to cut frames for one, and purple for the other. They are a warmer shade of mauve than they look here!

I then replaced my two cartridges and made two more yellow and gold cards, using two different frames and die-cutting a snowflake from the frame centres for the corner.
While having my original play around in Adobe, I also tried out a second image that I liked, on a darker background, and I printed one off to try. I thought it was a bit too dark, but once again I didn't want to waste it, so I mounted it on a base card and made a frame from dimensional glitter paste. (It didn't quite fit in my cut frames!). I printed half a Christmas tree and fussy cut it to add some dimension, and added some stickles for sparkle. I also glittered the snowflakes on the backing paper and added gold peel-off sentiments.
So that's another half a dozen cards for my collection. I am linking these up with the Rudolph Day Challenge at  Scraps of Life by Scrappymo, and also at Pixie's Snippets Playground, where it is Di's 200th week anniversary, so do pop over and visit her if you can.

16 comments:

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
what wonderful cards.
Their designs are perfect for the Rudolf Challenge,and you are so right about the ones where your ink nearly ran out they look so fab in that colour.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Di said...

Wow Kate, you've been busy! I totally love these Christmas cards - such a gorgeous image and yet each one is so different when used with the different mirri card colours.

Thank you for the suggestion about my excess stock of cards - I need to do some checking out of the suggestions made, when there's time to sit still for long enough!

Hugs

Di xx

Jean said...

A great set of cards Kate. I like the image you chose, perfect for RD, and the shiny frames look nice and Christmassy. Lucky you had the right colours to use the run out of ink ones too. I really like the deer image on the darker card as well. Deer images seem to be "in" this year.
Jean x

Sarn said...

Wow - you really went for it on the festive card making front here Kate. Congrats on not wasting any of your images and using them up.

Happy Rudolph day (belatedly).

You're welcome to join in with the Playground Party later if you smuggle some chocklit over to my "office" at the rear of the bike sheds!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

scrappymo! said...

Wow! I am so impressed with you and your computer skills. I know I have said this b4, but you are amazing with your talent there.

I kind of live that you had the ink colours running out cuz my fave is the lighter mauvey purple one. IT is so soft and pretty. They all look wonderful but that one really called out to me! Sometimes the sunset casts that type of glow and it seemed to capture that feeling.

Thanks for taking part in the October Rudolph days Challenge.

Donna said...

Such pretty cards.
Gorgeous image. I like :)

Sue - said...

Wow you have been busy. I rather like the mauve ones even though they were a happy accident!

Barb said...

Hi Kate, You deer cards all look lovely with their miri frames. I think you're quite right. Those where the ink was running out were certainly much too pretty to discard. Barbxx

Darnell said...

Wowza, Kate, you were very busy earlier this month and these pack a ton of inspiration for us both in terms of design and how to work around something that may not go the way we intended and how to use snippets!! Well done and thank you! Hugs, Darnell

Kathleen said...

Well Kate you are really spoiling us with all these fabulous creation, some stunning cards here, gorgeous image and some wonderful colour choices.

Kath x

kiwimeskreations said...

What lovely cards Kate - you sure can use your computer well!
Blessings
Maxine

sally said...

Such pretty shares this month!

Sally

Linby said...

wow! love how you adapted to not waste your images, they look beautiful too. You've got a great selection of cards here ready for Christmas.
Thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day.
Lynn x
GDT

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

They are so beautiful and festive, great idea to save the pink images.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Twinks Stamping said...

Lovely looking traditional cards xxx Jan xxx

MaryH said...

Hi Kate, enjoyed browsing through your trio of cards! Loved reading how you did a 'save' on #3, as this one _might_ be my fav of the three. Loving the fancy frames around your buck, and amazing that you can manipulate PS to use up some of your kits. The extra embellie details you added, look like much time expended creating (rather than rummaging as you say!). #3 looks like a somber winter day in our Northeastern states, with the dimensional tree..it added some pretty color to the scene. Well done, and now you're 3 ahead!! Stay warm. TFS & Hugs