All Summer I have been trying to get a card made for the Butterfly Challenge, but the heat sapped my energy and I never made the deadlines. But this month I am in by the skin of my teeth. The challenge was of course to use a butterfly in our design, but with the option of also using L for letters, and/or L for Lavender.I need a card for an eightieth birthday this week, so this is what I made.
I bought the files from Craftsuprint, and they included cutting files for the card base, a background sheet, the lattice layer and the lace border. I cut it using my silhouette cameo. I knew it would be a challenge to cut the lattice and the lace as they are quite intricate designs, but I found a small piece of pearlised card in lavender that was just big enough, and when I had played around with the settings a bit, I managed to cut the lattice. The lace cut quite well with some white pearl-all-through paper.This has no fibres so always cuts well.
Initially I cut the background layer from a snippet of pretty lavender and gold scrapbook paper, but I felt it got lost behind the lattice so I didn't use it. The base cut easily from white card, and this showed through the lattice better than the patterned paper.
There was a small piece at the top of the lace border that 'snagged' in the cutter, so I covered this with a label cut round the outside of a die from Sue Wilson's Greek islands-Kefalonia set. The die itself was used to cut the white panel with a computer generated sentiment - (L for letters).
Using the backing paper I had originally cut for the bottom layer of my design, I stamped the Leane Creatief Doodle Butterfly (won as a prize in an earlier Butterfly challenge), and coloured the frame lines with a dark lavender copic marker. I then glued it to a second piece of the BP so it was patterned on both sides, and fussy cut it. I used silicone glue to attach it to the card with its wings slightly raised.
From the left over lavender card I punched out some tiny butterflies to decorate the sentiment label, and added some sparkle with glitter glue to the tips of the butterfly wings, and the numbers 80.