Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, May 25, 2017

May Rudolph Day Challenge

Every month on 25th day, I try to make a Christmas card to enter in the Rudolph Day Challenge over at Scraps of Life by Scrappy Mo.
This month it has been a real challenge as we had my son and his partner out here for the last twelve days - they went home this morning - plus the throat virus I had in January has come back to haunt me, so I haven't felt up to doing much crafting. So I needed a quick and simple design and once again I turned to my Silhouette Cameo files to find one I haven't use so far. I settled on a simple skyline cut-out of Bethlehem, that makes an accordion fold card. As two copies fitted nicely on a sheet of 12 x 12 dark blue card, I cut it twice.
The file was just for the basic shape with the windows and doorways cut out, so I then made files for pieces of yellow paper to go behind all the apertures. I thought they made the back look a bit messy, so I also cut each section of the main card out again just a tiny bit smaller, this time in heavy white paper, and glued those to the back. It made the card a bit more stable, and much neater. 
Finally I opened a sentiment cutting file for the words "Joy to the world; the Lord is come", and divided it into four sections, rearranging and resizing them to fit between the windows on each section. I cut them from dull gold vinyl and transferred them onto the cards.
I was quite pleased with the end result and here it is. 

This was a very straightforward card to make so I saved all my files so I can make a run of them later. For now I have two completed to add to my collection.
I am linking this to the May Rudolph Day Challenge.

15 comments:

Jean said...

This is a clever looking card Kate, an interesting fold and shape and a wonderful sentiment.
Jean x

Kathleen said...

Hi Kate, what a brilliant card, the touch of gold looks really great against the background.

Kath x

scrappymo! said...

Stunning card, KAte. I love the accordian fold here and the pattern you chose from your cutting files. The way you used the Joy to the World file is fabulous.

When I see your cut file cards,I always wish I could take a holiday in your village and come to you for papercraft lessons!

Thanks for taking part in the May Rudolph Days Challenge.

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful card Kate - a great design and beautifully executed. So sorry to hear that pesky virus has come back to haunt you :-(
Blessings
Maxine

Pat said...

This is definitely a wow card Kate and works well with that interesting accordian shape and the pretty skyline and a nice bright yellow for the windows and doors etc., also a cleverly thought out sentiment too. Thank you for joining in with the May Rudolph Days Challenge. x

Liz said...

WOW, Kate! This is an impressive looking card! What a fabulous design. xx

Joan said...

Lovely card, love the shape and design

sally said...

What a great card!

Sally

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
what a wonderful card and that shape is excellent.
Love this wonderful design it is so brilliant.
Sorry to hear you have not been well and I do hope your throat virus doesn't return.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Sally H said...

Oh wow! How gorgeous is that? I love it! Happy Rudolf day x

Darnell said...

Great card, Kate! I'm so glad you had twelve days with your son and his partner, but I am sorry that you are feeling poorly again. I'm sending best wishes that you'll bounce back quickly this time! Hugs, Darnell

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

This would take pride of place in anyone's home for quite a few years me thinks, a fabulous and clever card.
Faith
x

Whisper said...

WOW what a stunning design & thanks for joining us at Mays Rudolphs Day Challenge, luv Sam x

Sue - said...

A fabulous card!

Barb said...

What a great fold for your cards. They are lovely and very different. Barbxx