Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Butterfly Challenge #97

We were given a pretty range of colours to choose from this time, as well as some very varied additions. The letter was 'L' for Lemon, Lavender and Light Blue, plus 'L' for Lace, Layers and Letters. Once again these are a choice, along with a Butterfly of course, but I like the challenge of incorporating as many as possible. I only managed six out of the seven this time unless you call the flap of my envelope Lace. But I used several Layers of card, Letters for my sentiment, and all three colours, which again proved a challenge to photograph accurately. My lemon looks very washed out, and the blue was lighter in real life, but I did my best.
I made this card with my Silhouette cameo cutting machine and a design sold as a svg file by The Dreaming Tree. It is one of a set of three cards which are available to buy on their web site, but this week they were offered as a free gift with an order above 10$. So I thought I'd have a go at making one of them.

The base card is Light blue and there is a cut-out swirl in the Lavender front panel to let it show through. The flower and sentiment were cut from Lemon card, with the smaller flower centre cut from a darker yellow heavy vellum (It looks green here but it isn't). I used a pale green card to cut the leaves and held the flower and leaves together with a lavender gem brad. The sentiment was a file already in my Silhouette library, and I am not sure where it is from.
I think all the elements are here, including some tiny butterfly stickers, but the main butterfly can be seen when the card is opened.
I used the same green and lemon card to cut the flower and leaves, and a slightly darker shade of lavender card to cut the butterfly. Then I cut a backing for its wings from the yellow vellum which shows nicely when it pops up.
There was a file for cutting an envelope in the folder, which I wouldn't normally bother with, but as the card was not a standard size, I did cut its envelope this time, and backed the Lace flap with some more of the green card.
So I will link this to Mrs A's Butterfly Challenge #97. Why not fly over and see who else is there, and maybe add a butterfly of your own.



4 comments:

Jean said...

I like the pretty colours in your lovely card, and the pop up butterfly inside is impressive.
Jean x

Liz said...

Super card, Kate. Great design and I love the surprise of the butterfly popping up when the card is opened. xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I LOVE it, such a pretty card and envelope, love your choice of colours and the inside butterfly is fabulous. I agree colours can be a !!!!! to photograph. Great card in whatever colour!
Faith
x

Mrs A. said...

Beautifully cut card. This is superb. I love the way the card opens up with the butterfly inside. Thankyou for coming and spinning the butterfly wheel. Hugs Mrs A.