Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

A Star Led the Way for Rudolph Day; July 2018

As I have so many visitors coming over from UK this summer, I worked hard over the last few weeks, to make all the cards I need during July and August, as I know I won't get much craft time while family are here, and that included my cards for Rudolph Day.

For last month's challenge, our lovely hostess Scrappy Mo used a die that I really liked. It was a Find it Media, Jeanine's Art Christmas die, featuring a pretty Christmas tree. I had difficulty finding anywhere outside of USA  that was selling it, and I have been caught on import tax and heavy P&P too many times to order from there, but Mo helped me find a source and I did buy one, and at the same time I bought another die from the same set, featuring stars, so that is what I have used for my card this time.

I found a half-used sheet of scrapbook paper that was just big enough to cut the die frame twice. The paper is very pretty and where it looks green in my photo, it is actually gold.
I have a huge stash of glitter card from our cheap 'Todo' (means everything) shop, in a great range of colours, so I used a darkish brown one as a hand cut mat behind the frame. It came with a circle die for the aperture, so I made an insert to fit, using a small LOTV stamp of a stable, which I added a tiny nativity scene to for a card I made earlier this year. I generated the sentiment on the computer and added an amber gem to the centre of the star. 
For this one I matched my aperture colour to a plain cream purchased card blank. For the second die cut I had flipped the orientation of the die (by cutting from the back of the paper instead of the front). I followed the same steps as above but mounted it onto a dark brown card. 
The backing paper looks prettier in this one. In both my photos everything looks a bit off kilter, but they are both straight in real life! I must have been having a bad camera day.
So that's two more cards for my collection, but I need to make a big run of one soon, as I have fallen behind somewhat since my excellent start to the year!
I will link this up with Rudolph Day Challenge; July and I 'll be back again in August.

5 comments:

Sally H said...

Two beauties, Kate! That die is wonderful and I love what you have done with it! Happy Rudolf Day!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I can see why you wanted this die, it's so beautiful, the paper and image is perfect as is the overall card - Beautiful. Enjoy your Summer with family.
Faith
x

scrappymo! said...

These are both such beautiful Christmas cards, Kate. The die looks fabulous and I love the glitter paper mat. I pay a fortune for glitter paper...around $3 Canadian a sheet, so whenever I find it on sale, I stock up. I still use it sparingly and wish I could find a good place close by to source it.

I am very much a brick and mortar shopper and am lucky enough to have two huge paper craft stores within 5 minutes of my house and another large stamp store 20 minutes away.

Your wee stamp is great in the aperture. It is the perfect size and a great image for this card.

Thanks for taking part in the belated July Rudolph Challenge.

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Such a pretty card.

Sue xx

Jean said...

Lovely cards Kate, I love that die and it's perfect for framing smaller christmas images. The paper you ised looks pretty too.
Jean x