Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Rudolph Day Challenge # March 2020

If you glance back at my previous post you will see I have been putting my new Silhouette Cameo 4 machine through its paces so I decided to keep with it for my Christmas cards this month. I bought a few cutting files from svgcuts.com and this was the perfect opportunity to try them out.
This is the one I made. It is a box card which folds flat to go in an envelope.
The layers can all be cut from one sheet of 12" x 12" card, and I used some from a pack I bought off Amazon a while ago. The fascia was run through a wood-effect embossing folding to add some texture, and I raided my snippets boxes for oddments of green and red card to cut the wreath. You can see how the layers fit together here.
There was a file to make an arched frame for the back which I stamped with a holly background stamp, and an inner piece which I edged with the same ink pad - Archival fern green, and stamped with a simple sentiment by Stampin' up, leaving just enough space to write on.
To finish with, I added some glitter glue sparkle to the roof edges to represent frost or snow, and red perfect pearls for berries on the wreath.
The files also included one for an envelope which I made as the folded card did not fit in any of my standard size ones.
The card folds very flat and should not be any problem to post.
This is a cute little church so yesterday I cut out three more which are now waiting to be made up.
And while the machine was set up I also cut two sets for this simple card. (Files also purchased from svgcuts.com, probably a couple of years ago). This was a good way to use up some white and green snippets and my only addition was some very pale colour added to the dove's tail and wings. The original card was completely round which wasn't very practical so I decided to trim across the lower part so it would stand. And this one will fit into a standard envelope so  no need to make special ones.

With the likely-hood of me being able to post any birthday cards for a while being almost zero, I am concentrating on Christmas while in lock-down here, so my stash should be building up nicely.
I am going to link up now with Rudolph Day Challenge#March, and Pixie's Snippets Playground, and make a start on next month's entry!

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wow this is a really stunning creation, love it.

Kath x

kiwimeskreations said...

that church card is spectacular Kate - love it! The circular one is really eye catching too. We are also in total lock down for four weeks, so I'm not sure if I can get cards posted either - I know mail is being delivered, so hopefully they are emptying the posting boxes
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
oh this is so gorgeous and what a very fab creation..
Love that it folds falt to go in an envelope.
Wonderful use of snippets as well on your second card.
I love the gorgeous Dove of Peace.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT
Ps Hope you are keeping well.

Carol L said...

This amazing card is a gift in itself! The fact that it fits into an envelope and can be mailed makes it even more special! Gorgeous work on that creation, as well as the round cards too! I'm so sorry you're living in one of the hot spots of the world with this virus, but at least you're able to keep yourself occupied while on lock-down. My friend in Italy is safe, so I'm grateful! Continued good health to you and hopefully soon you can be reunited with your family!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! Kate this is fabulous, I love the end pieces you have added and the sparkle. Good to hear you have a Cameo 4, I hope you will be able to add some tips or gripes about it here.
Keep safe and well.
Faith x

scrappymo! said...

Hello KAte

I am relieved to hear that you are OK. This is a scary world at the moment.

I must confess that I am a bit addicted to my Yahoo account as I am following the news of the virus all over the world with particular interest in areas where my virtual friends live. I have been worried about you in particular and a friend in France.

Al does all the shopping, leaving his shopping shoes in the garage and then changes clothes and showers. I am not leaving the house at all. Thank goodness for my craft room. And skype etc are keeping us in good visits with family. I think I have mentioned before that my kids live 12 doors away and the other lives 6 doors away. So they will call and say walk out to the porch and sit down and they will stand on the sidewalk and have a visit on their way by as they have to walk the dog each day.

Your church card is amazing. If I can every figure out how to use my Cameo, I will buy this file and give it a try. IT is so wonderful. I immediately thought of friends from church, the priest, and even the minister from the nearby Luthern church which we rent once a month to meet up and make paper crafts. Yep, I need to learn that darn machine!!!

I also thought the dove of peace around the world was great. Perfect sentiment, as we battle the war on this virus we are reminded that peace will again prevail.

Thanks for taking part in the March Rudolph Days Challenge.

Anonymous said...

The church card is lovely and has so much dimension, it’s hard to imagine i can lie flat. I LOVE the holly background stamp! The globe card is fabulous Too with a perfect sentiment. Thank you so much for playing along with the Rudolph Days Challenge.
Linda, DT
Rudolph Days Challenge

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your cards are so amazingly beautiful. I love the church design and can imagine it took a long time to make it too. But who wouldn't love a card like that.

Robyn Oliver said...

Brilliant box card Kate - it looks amazing, stay safe Robyn

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Wow your church is fantastic Kate and amazing that it folds flat for posting too. I love the dove too.

Sue xx

Di said...

What a lovely snippets card Kate - so appropriate in these times as well. And I do so love your church card - just fabulous!

Take care, I've been thinking of you loads as Spain, along with Italy, are having a tough time right now.

Love

Di xx