Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, May 25, 2020

Batch Baking again for Rudolph Day #May

Although I have 30-40 Christmas cards in my stash, that is well short of what I would like by this time of the year, so once again I decided to make a run using similar images.

I chose another LOTV digi stamp from my library. It is very simple and I felt it would spoil it to add too much colour, so I just coloured the little robins, ran a grey/brown pen over the tree, and added some glitter glue for a bit of sparkle. 

For my trial run (I usually make just one before deciding whether to do a whole batch), I found a Gina Marie die cut frame, trimmed the image to fit it, and then rummaged through my Christmas offcuts for a piece of backing paper. I don't often choose to work with grey, but I liked it with this image so I cut and mounted a piece to cover a 15cm square, added the topper and then sorted through my borders and sentiments for something that would show up against this background. I eventually settled on a white peel-off, decorative sentiment.



Happy with the result I filled a couple of sheets of good white paper with the same image, varying its size to fit where necessary. Next I found die cut frames to fit each one, and added the same colours as before, using alcohol ink pens.
It was a challenge to find enough grey papers and I was short for the last couple of cards, but I found a sheet of black with tiny gold flecks in it so I used that with cream base cards for those two.
I realised that some of the smaller framed images would fit on a 13.5 cm base card, which is my preferred size for posting internationally, and I had plenty in my stash, so I used them where I could.
I didn't have a lot of plain grey snippets to chose from for the frames, so I did some in white for the darker backgrounds, and some in glitter and mirri card. For the images on the white frames, I distressed the edges with Memento London fog, so they would stand out more.
Once they were all mounted on a card, I went though my motley assortment of embellishments and added a sentiment and something extra to each one. I even added a little red to two of them.

In the end I had seven smaller cards, seven larger white ones, and two larger cream ones, so sixteen cards to make a good addition to m stash.

Now I am off to add them to the May Rudolph Day Challenge at Scraps of life by Scrappy Mo. You don't need to 'batch bake' to join in. If you have made just one Christmas card recently, come on over and join in the challenge. You have until the end of the month to post your card.

10 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful cards with those cute birds and the tree.

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
as usual you have created more than one beautiful card.
I love the sweet images and your colouring is brilliant.
Great design also.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

scrappymo! said...

Oh my goodness, KAte...

You have done so well in batch baking some wonderful additions to your finished Christmas card stash!

Your image is a sweetie. You and KAth both chose trees with birds for your cards this month. What a treat for the rest of us to view them, I must say.

Loved to see each card was slightly different from the others. The various dies and papers looked great!

I have been busy sewing masks for the kids and grandkids and am glad to say I am finally finished and back to making card. Just have to get some blogged!

Thanks for taking part in the May Rudolph Days Challenge.

Liz said...

A fabulous collection of cards, Kate. I love the cute image and especially love the frame on the first card and the lovely peeloff sentiment. I thought it was a die cut at first. xx

Kathleen said...

Oh yes, I see what you mean about the trees and birds. Fabulous image and a brilliant selection of cards, super designs and great papers, stunning cards, love them. Thanks so much for your comment.

Kath x

kiwimeskreations said...

What a lovely image you have used Kate, and I love the various ways you have mounted it. A great batch make
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

The perfect image and colouring for these Christmas cards Kate, I love the assortment you have have done, when you said batch make I thought each the same, impressed you did them different designs.
Take care
Faith x

Anonymous said...

Aww, such an adorable image! All those birds are so cute and they pair perfectly with the grey! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely christmas card with the Rudolph Days Challenge.
Linda

*Vicki* said...

Wow Kate! Your Christmas cards are absolutely darling!! I just love the image you've used and all of your cards look amazing with gorgeous designs and papers! Thanks so much for sharing your festive and adorable designs!! :)

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Lots of gorgeous cards Kate, such a gorgeous image too.

Sue xx