Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Rudolph Day Challenge for May

My word, the 25th of each month sure comes around fast doesn't it? But here we are so time show a new Christmas card and here is mine. 


A few weeks ago a lady called Nicky Viner posted a cutting file for a simple tri-fold concertina mat, on a Facebook page that I follow, and I decided to give it a try. As it was a file for my Silhouette cameo I did use that though it was a straight forward cut and didn't really need a machine to do it.
When it was folded I realised I could have done with more contrast between the two sides of the paper, but this was only one of two double sided Christmas papers I had in my stash. If I use it again I will try printing my own.
However, it fitted nicely on my favourite size base card (17cm X 11.5cm), but got a bit lost against the white background, so I cut a red mat to match the red in the paper. 
Then I wanted a topper that again didn't get lost against the mat, but didn't swamp the fold either, so I searched in my Cameo library and came up with this 'Joy' wreath. The green leaves and red dots were cut separately so it was fun sticking the berries on. The word Joy is also cut and I was pleased with the way my machine cut the very fine lines in it. I used the design feature in the Silhouette software to make a white scalloped circle to place the wreath on, and off-set it by a small amount to make a green mat, again to give definition between the topper and mat. 
The strip of green ribbon running under the topper has been in my stash for more years than I can remember.
I am not good with white spaces on my cards so I used a Britannia die to cut pairs of holly leaves for each corner.
And that is it from me for this month. Linking up with Rudolph Day Challenge#May on Scraps of Life by Scrappy Mo. Looking forward to seeing all your creations.

8 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful card design with all the Christmas foliage on it.

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
What a very lovely design and such an unusual fold.
Love all the elements used to create this gorgeous card.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

Kathleen said...

A really great shape of the image, super colours and papers.

Kath x

scrappymo! said...

This is a lovely fold. Your card looks great and I like the holly you added in the crners. I feel the same as you about white space!
Thanks for taking part in the May Rudolph Days Challenge.

Linby said...

That's a great fold and you've embellished it perfectly with your wreath.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Something different and beautifully made Kate. The centre shows off the fold, love the font of the Joy.
Faith x

kiwimeskreations said...

That's gorgeous Kate - love all the layers and you fabulous use of the colours
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a lovely fold design and Christmas card! Thank you so much for playing along with the Rudolph Days Challenge.
Linda, DT