Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, October 25, 2021

Rudolph Day Challenge#October.

I had a nice little surprise this week when my prize from the July challenge finally arrived. (Not Mo's fault I hasten to add. I think it had been 'resting' in customs!)

It was a very pretty little nativity die so I decided to use it straight away, and these are what I made.


I am not sure but I think I prefer the one without the brown mat behind the frame. They are on the same colour base cards, somewhere between these two, but the camera saw them differently!

I have not used yupo paper before. I bought a pack ages ago. I can't even remember my reason but I must have had a plan at the time! Anyway I thought it was time to have a go and I used it with alcohol inks. It was great fun and kept the colours true and bright. I engineered them slightly to get the paler yellow area behind the crib, but other than that I let it do its own thing,

I chose the best place for the die to go, then glued it in place and cut round it. Then I cut a gold scroll frame from vinyl on my Silhuette Cameo, and also a brown mat for it on one.

I mounted it all on a 15cm card cut from a 12" x 12" sheet of American Crafts vanilla card, and added a die cut gold star above the crib.

I also received some black diecuts of the three kings, and for them I covered two sheets of yupo paper with shades of blue alcohol inks. When they were dry I lightly spritzed them with a very old silver mica mist, and glued the die cuts over this. 

Then I cut two white base cards and stamped a line of script using another ancient warrior, a Serendipity stamp, and glued my inked piece below it. This time I added a silver star.


Easy cards to make and quite efective so Thank You Maureen.

I will be adding these to the October Rudolph day Challenge.

12 comments:

Linby said...

Fabulous cards. The AI has made for a wonderful night sky for the 3 wise men. Your first design is so pretty too with the different colours and your lovely new die.

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

What fantastic cards Kate. I have these dies to. I think they need dusting off. Thank you for joining in the Rudolph Days Challenge this month.

Sue xx

scrappymo! said...

Beautiful cards, Kate! Love the yupo paper and A ink. So delightful!

Glad your parcel finally arrived. I was getting worried.

Thanks for your kind comments about Al. We do indeed feel lucky he got the surgery so fast. They originally said he needed it within the week, but the wait time for that surgery was 2-5 weeks. He got in after 8 days...woohoo!
I am visiting blogs as I sit and wait for the phone to ring from the hospital updating me on the surgery progress.

Thanks for taking part in the October Rudolph Days Challenge.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your cards are so gorgeous! That is a wonderful prize you got too!

Liz said...

Beautiful cards, Kate. Love the die cuts and the AI backgrounds are lovely. xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Kate these are wonderful - what a 'different' and very sweet nativity die cut! Love the AI behind the silhouette cuts. Your three kings are striking too!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Kate all of them are so wonderful and creative. Love your new die and the different ways you used it and the Kings are just wonderful on the Yupo.
Faith x

Carol L said...

Both versions of the first card are wonderful and the 2nd set of cards is equally lovely too with those great backgrounds!

Greta said...

Very unique & artsy nativity cards! Love the black 3 kings die cuts!

LesleyG said...

Fabulous nativity cards Kate xxx

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
Your cards are wonderful and the colours achieved with the yupo papers is fantastic.
Not used yupo paper myself.
Love the die cuts and the gorgeous Frames cut with the vynyl.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

scrappymo! said...

You make the most gorgeous cards! Love each and every one. Great that you were able to use those Three Wise Men diecuts too!

Thanks for taking part in the October Rudol[ph Days Challenge.