Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Sunday, September 25, 2022

Rudolph Day 2022# September

 A couple of months ago Sue used some images and dies from a company called Carnation Crafts. I have not visited this site for years and had forgotten how much I liked them - though some of their designs may be a bit 'fussy' for some folks. They sell a large range of dies, and for most of them you can also download a printed image to cut. Unfortunately the company is based in UK so I am wary of ordering from them in case I get caught for high import duties. But I did buy just a couple. 

But the last time I visited their site I found they now have a 'digital market' section where you can buy a selection of their designs as SVGs which can be used on most electronic cutters, including my Silhouette cameo. Unlike many cutting files, which only give the outline and inner windows of a piece, these have the option to cut the detail which are just lines, but do enhance the finished image. So yes, I did treat myself to a few, and here are the cards I made to try them out. 

These are using the robin family. An advantage of a cutting machine over dies is that you can choose what size the image is, so my first card uses a large robin which has three decoupaged layers. I used some torn paper effect circles to cut the window frame, and torn paper square fames from the silhouette store. The branch is a part of the cutting file for the robin.

The paper is an oddment from a pad and I no longer know its name, and the surround is embossed with my snow fall folder. I don't know the make and am not sure it is still available, but I use mine a lot.

I finished the card with random drops of glitter glue, and a peel-off sticker. (I have straightened it since I took this photo!).

For my second card I again cut images from the robin family set. The brown lines you can see on the robins are tiny cut lines which make their feathers so much more realistic.

The white frames are another set from the same company, and I used the silhouette software to make a matching base card and mat. The sentiment was a file in my silhouette library. I again added a small amount of glitter glue and some snowflakes from silver holographic vinyl. They have picked up some blue in the photo but really they are fairly white.

I can see me using these print and cut files more in the future, and I already have several designs to try.

For now I will link up with September Rudolph Day Challenge over at scraps of life with Scrapy Mo.


7 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I love these gorgeous cards made with the Carnations Crafts Robins Kate. Thank you for joining in the fun at Rudolph Days this month.

Sue xx

Jenny L said...

HI Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
Your cards are goegeous and very stunning.
I love the Robins they look so real and fabulous.
Both cards are excellent designs and you are so clever with your cutting files.
I have a ScanNcut and rarely use it as it is too much to think about when using it.
Suppose I should sell it.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

kiwimeskreations said...

A wonderful pair of cards Kate - and great use of the files to cut these fabulous designs
Blessings
Maxine

Liz said...

Two super cards Kate, the little robins are lovely. xx

Linby said...

Two wonderful cards. I'm glad you could indulge even though outside the UK - digital files are a great way to go.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Kate, these cards are so beautiful, I love the frames with the images, they certainly enhance them. Love the cut sentiment also, so pretty. I agree about the cut files, and the sizes. I didn't know the Company did SVG's I must have a look, although with the hundreds I haven't used in my files, perhaps I should not this time hahaha.
Faith x

Sue - said...

Two fabulous cards. Off to check out Carnation Crafts - not heard of them before.