Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, November 25, 2022

Rudolph Day Challenge# November 2022

Well my cards are mostly written and all the ones for UK and other countries have been posted, so this month I have made something a bit different. I used svg files bought from a designer on Etsy, and uploaded them into my silhouette Cameo machine. It was in a good mood and cut everything very well, with none of the usual problems.

I chose this Nativity scene and as I had quite a bit in stock, I used some Vanilla American craft card. The style of sculpture is called slice-form, and it it consists of many layers of card, (about 32 layers in this one), which are interlocked using carefully placed slots. It is fiddly to do, and annoying sometimes when as you put one piece in place, another pops out again. But it gradually stabilises as the shape is completed.  Mine had a small LED light base , purchased from Amazon, placed underneath it. 

This is the view from the top, so you can see how the layers fit together.

I was quite pleased with the result, but once I understood how it worked, I wanted to have another go, so I asked my husband Chris to chose another design, and he chose this one. I bought a pad of white 216gm card for this, and as it is a sphere without any construction for a base under it, the light shines though better, and I actually like this one the best. 

Although not a card, these do fold flat to go in a large envelope so could be posted, and it also makes it easy to store for another year.

I am linking this with Rudolph Day Challenge over at Scrappy Mo's, and also with 

ABC Cristmas Challenge # W is for white.

9 comments:

Sue - said...

They are really beautiful, you must have an enormous amount of patience!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Oh wow Kate, these are stunning, they must have taken ages to slot them al together. Thank you for joining the fun at Rudolph Days this month.

Sue xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
Oh my word what stunning works of art these are I love them both.
They looks so complicated to make you must have the patience of a saint.
Thank you for sharing these delights with us at the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

kiwimeskreations said...

these are amazing Kate - and I love that they fold flat for storage!
Blessings
Maxine

Linby said...

wow! These are amazing.

veronica said...

These are really great, and I can only admire your patience! The end results are well worth the effort though

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! Kate, these are stunning makes, so very effective with the light inside too. I have been looking at these designs and thought maybe too much, good to hear you wanted to make another after the first, maybe I should take another look (for next year) or even for myself, if I have time. Awesome makes.
Faith x

Sarn said...

WOW that is certainly something different. Fiddly but wonderful results. xxx

LesleyG said...

It’s a while since I visited Kate, I’m sure I used to be a follower, but blogger has had its challenges. I’m so glad you stopped by mine as I’ve had chance to catch up with you in blogland. These are just fabulous, the second one is my favourite too, you have so much patience. Hope you’re keeping well xxx