Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Rudolph Day Challenge #January 2023

I have made a good start to my 2023 collection of cards. I often buy Christmas related items, stamps, dies, papers etc, too late to use them so at the start of a new year I look for things that have not been used. This month I have gone with a set of cutting files from DreamOnPrint. They were a bundle including a long advent calendar, several small ornaments and the one I chose to use which is a set of Cathedral Windows depicting parts of the nativity story. They were intended to be cut from lightweight wood or heavy card for a large wall display, but I decided to down-size them to fit on a DL card. 

I used an odd piece off-white card for the base, and various snippets of brown and gold card for the elements.

I liked the result so I made five more using some 300g bright white card for the bases, and a mixture of oddments for the rest of the layers. I did make sure to use the same colour pieces for the three windows on each card. 

Many years ago, maybe twenty years, I bought my first cutting machine, a Craft Robo, at a craft show at NEC Birmingham, and because it was at a show, I was given a whole range of paper and card and some cutting files to start me off. Among the paper was a lot of thinnish gold paper that may have been plastic, because it was textured but it had no fibres, and therefore it cut beautifully. I have used it for odd things over the years and for these cards I used up all the last little pieces, just managing to cut all the window frames, trees and stable scenes, one at a time. The grid on the cutting mat makes it possible to put these scraps in just the right place to match the position of the image in the software. I am sad it has all gone, but at least I made good use of every little piece.

To finish my cards I stamped a simple sentiment at the top using a very old Inkylicious stamp.

And now I have a set of six cards to start off my collection.

Now I shall link ip with Rudolph Day Challenge# January  and

The Snippets Playground


9 comments:

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
Oh these are gorgeous and I love the Cathedral window design with the lovely nativity scenes inside them.
I hope you are keeping we3ll and so is Jean I miss her blog.
Give her my love when you next see her or talk to her.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! KATE, what beautiful results with your “windows”. Love them. Great you used the same colours in each, stunning end result. So many details to get right too.
Faith x

kiwimeskreations said...

A beautiful set of Christmas cards Kate - I love the colours you have used, and how you made the most of that gold 'paper'.
Blessings
Maxine

Sarn said...

A lovely set of Christmas cards Kate.

Thanks for coming to play in the SNIPPETS PLAYGROUND. Once you’ve finished playing on the swings, meet me and Di up in the Treehouse for a nice mug of hot chocolate! xxx

Di said...

Oh Kate, what a stunning set of Christmas cards. Gorgeous designs and a great use of lots of snippets as well.

Hugs
Di xx

Sue - said...

What a great start to your stash of Christmas cards. They are gorgeous!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I love your batch making Kate, these cards are gorgeous. Thank for in joining fun at Rudolph Days this month.

Sue xx

LesleyG said...

These are just lovely Kate, a great way to use up those bits, and such nice nativity scenes xxx

scrappymo! said...

Your cards are gorgeous! I love how you were able to use up the last of that gold paper after so many years!
The files are fabulous and would also look good as wall decor in the larger size!
Thanks for taking part in the January Rudolph days Challenge.