Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, August 25, 2023

Rudolph Day Challenge #August 2023

Another scheduled post as I shall be in UK on tis date, and far away from my PC. (I don't trust my skills fiddling around on a smart phone!).

For this set of cards I wanted to try out a technique called 3D stained Glass window cards. I found loads of images for stained glass windows, but struggled to find any Christmas ones. Eventually I settled on this lovely poinsettia which was one from a set of images for making Christmas coasters.

I enlarged it to the size I wanted for my card and in the Silhouette software I made a cutting fil e for it. Then I made a second square a bit smaller for the first internal frame. Making another even smaller square I centred it over the original image and cut out where they intersected, giving me the next layer. Then I repeated this again for the second frame and smallest centre image.

I printed the three images on good quality photographic paper to bring out the colours and give a nice glossy finish, and used the Print & Cut feature on my cameo to cut them out. Then I cut the base card and two frame squares from black card, and used 1mm foam pads to lift each layer slightly over the one below. (I managed a small tear on the centre image, when pulling it off the sticky cutting mat, so I hid it under a gold peel off, Spanish Christmas greeting).

The card was a bit darker than I would have chosen but the only alternative Chrstmas ones I could find were a set of 'Old Father Christmas' roundals. (Or Old man Winter if you prefer). So I made  another set of frames and concentric images as for the square one and made these two cards.



I overlapped two base circles by a small amount and added a score line where they crossed, to give me a joined base card. And knowing what a nuisance circular cards can be, I also sliced a very thin piece off the bottom of the card so that it would stand up.

I expect there will be more Christmas images available later in the year as this is a popular technique right now, so I may try a few more then. Now the files are in my software library, it would be very easy to just use a different image.

So this is another set to add to my stash. I will schedule it to post on Rudolph day challenge#August on Scrappy Mo's blog.


10 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Beautiful beautiful cards Kate - what wonderful work you do with your software. I am in awe!!
Blessings
Maxine

Sue - said...

Beautiful cards, but they do sound a bit complicated to make!

KarinsArtScrap said...

such beautiful cards

gr karin

LesleyG said...

Beautiful cards Kate, you are so clever xxx

Liz said...

Three beautiful cards Kate, a really effective technique. xx

Linby said...

Beautiful and clever cards, they are so effective.

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
As Always your cards and images are so cleverly created.
Love the poinsettia one.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

The Silhouette is the perfect way to make these fabulous cards Kate. Beautiful images. I look forward to seeing more from you.
Faith x

Anonymous said...

WOW what a beautiful set of cards & thanks for joining us at Rudolph Days August Challenge, luv Sam x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Wonderful images and I love how you layered them. More beautiful work.
Faith x