Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, April 8, 2011

Let's play in the garden

Part of the idea behind setting up a craft blog was to enable me to take part in some of the online challenges. I don't do many but they seem to be taking up most of my crafting time, so last night I decided to do something different. Here is the page I made for my son's scrapbook (which I have promised to try to finish before I visit UK in November!)


I have several books about scrapbooking, but the one I return to most often is the Making Memories book 'Creative photo cropping for scrapbooks'. This page is my interpretation of a layout suggestion in there. It took me a while to decide which photos were the right size and orientation for each dragonfly wing, but once that was decided, the rest was not too difficult, just a bit fiddly.



As this was for a boy's book, I shied away from the floral background that was my first plan, and chose instead a muted blue piece that came with an album I bought from QVC, a long time ago, with deep blue and aqua sheets of pearlescent paper for the layering. For the dragonfly's body I sprayed a piece of card with an array of blue and silver mica sprays, and cut it out when it was dry. My son would not appreciate a flower garden on there, so I stuck to muted blues to combine some paper flowers from my stash, to make a few embellishmentas. I also had a root around and found a few blue butterflies. The tiny dragonflies are cut with the smallest punch I have ever seen. My daughter-in-law bought me a set of three of these, and I just love them.
I thought that the photos spoke for themselves and no additional journalling was necessary, so I just used my CraftRobo to cut the letters for the title, with a contrasting mat for each one, using the font LD Wilbert, bought from www.scrapnfonts.com.
It is quite a busy page, but he was a busy little boy, and overall I am pleased with the end result. I hope he will be too.
Now I have to think about 'Let's play in the house'!!

3 comments:

Saskia said...

Lovely lay-out!That dragonfly is just gorgeous. I hardly ever do any scrapbooking, I only made just one page so far.

Jean said...

You have certainly been busy Kate,this is a great page, such a lot of lovely fun things going on.
Jean x

Unknown said...

Oh that page is gorgeous! Its such a happy, playful page.

Love

Jill
x