Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Poppies

I thought it would be nice to post a blog about something other than a challenge Christmas card for a change, so here is a card I made last night for a friend's 70th birthday.


I recently bought this stamp on a plate from the newly named Chocolate Baroque site. One of my fellow CB Guild members posted a card using it with a pretty pink ink which looked lovely, so I thought I'd try to make something quite different. I tried stamping it on red patterned paper and than on a couple of different shades of red card, but they each seemed very flat. Then I tried this one and knew it was what I was looking for. I wanted to highlight the moon so I looked through my bits and pieces box and found a tiny off-cut of two layers of fantasy film sandwiching some red fibres. I just managed to cut out a disc the right size (I knew I was keeping it for something!). Then I used a sharp craft knife to cut around the flowers that overhang the moon in the main image, and slipped the disc behind them. I then cut out the panel, edged it with black diamond stickles, and use the same for the centres of the flowers. It seemed to belong on a DL card but there was still a lot of space, and people who know me will know that I don't do empty spaces very well, so I went on a hunt for something to stamp behind the panel, eventually settling on this lovely star trail by Great Impressions. The whole card had a sort of oriental feel to it so I chose a small greeting by Elusive Images in a similar style, and punched out three of my lovely teeny weeny dragonflies.






This card nearly didn't get made as on my first attempt I realised that I had stuck the panel on wonky, too wonky to leave, so I removed it and in doing so I wrecked the base card. I nearly threw it all in the bin, but as it was raining hard which means that our TV was not working, I started again, and I am pleased that I did, as I am very happy with the end result!

3 comments:

Jean said...

i'll say it again this really is a lovely card. I so love the shiny moon. Jean x

fatmonica said...

This is a beautiful card.The stamp is perfect and I love the silver moon.

veronica said...

gorgeous Kate - love poppies anyway, but using fantasy film for the moon was a stroke of genius!