Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Christmas night in June

This week I wanted to make something a bit different, and because it was rather a lot of work, I have found several challenges that it is suitable for. But I started with the Bah! Humbug! Challenge - Surprise, surprise. Had I not just made a magic slider card for their recent challenge, I could have done one of those, but instead I thought I'd have a go at another style of card I learned with Hazel from Horseshoe Crafts, many years ago, and haven't made again since.

The first thing was to cut the card and assemble it so that I could mark each area I needed to work on.* Then I decided to decorate the front. The paper I chose is a bonus download from the members section of Crafters Companion website. I chose my all time favourite snowman stamp, cut him out and glued him to a magazine background. This was matted and layered with silver dufex paper and then dark blue card. The snowflake is a die-cut template from craftsuprint which I cut using CraftRobo.
Next I turned to my middle layer. The mice are stamped onto white starburst paper and glued in place to hide the fact that my copic markers had bled through the card!(See below). It didnt take the stamps very well but I think I got away with it. The rest is matted in each section with papers from magazines and CDs, but first I computer generated the text and printed it onto them. The geese and reindeer were stamped onto white heavyweight paper, coloured and cut out, and glued in place. I bought the reindeer stamp just as I finished making Christmas cards last year, so I am glad I have found an opportunity to use it.I knew what I wanted to put in the centre but my stamps were too big, so I stamped the whole scene on white copy paper, scanned it into the computer and printed it out in two halves, managing to place them in the right position on the base cards. (This took a few attempts but I got there in the end). I added some colour with my copic markers. * This section actually had to be done as soon as the card was cut out, but for this post, it makes more sense to put it here.



To finish off the centre section I used the QuicKutz alphabet die set, Skinni minis - Frankie, with my cuttlebug, to cut out the letters for the wording on the top and lower panels, and used a baby Xyron to stick them in place.

So the idea is to open the gate fold front of the card to see the inside, then following the instructions given, to ease apart the centre to reveal the secret in the middle. Surprise, surprise!

If anyone would like the instructions for making this card, please ask.

Stamps used:-
Main snowman - Funstamps

Reindeer and snowflakes - Woodware

Geese and mice - Great Impressions
Santa - Crafters Companion
Most others - SeeDs


Challenges entered :-

Bah! Humbug! Challenge 22 ; Surprise, surprise

Craftyhazelnuts Christmas Challenge 23: Wintertime blues

Sparkles Forum Christmas Challenge 5: Snowmen

Stampin Sisters in Christ Challenge 92: Use something new (Reindeer stamp)

Lets Craft and Create Challenge 21: The four seasons

Claudia and Company Challenge 83: Fancy folds

Stampavie and more Challenge 144: More than a fold
Southern Girls Challenge 20: Start of Winter, Christmas
Paper Crafting Journey Challenge 11: Anything goes? Use your favourite... (Snowman stamp)
Christmas Cards All Year Round, June Challenge: Anything goes.
Inspire me Fridays Challenge 5: Anything goes

19 comments:

Jean said...

A super-duper card today Kate. That snowman is my favourite too. I love the surprise in the middle, very well thought out. Lovely. Jean x

Mandy said...

Hi Kate...your card is amazing with so much detail, love it!

Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Let's Craft and Create.

Hazel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hazel said...

Totally gorgeous - thank you for joining in my CHNC challenge 23 - hope to see you again soon. x

Annie said...

Oh my goodness Kate you really went to town this week. What a totally amazing project. Very special indeed - love how you solved the problem of the stamps being too big - must remember that one.
Ann xxx

tootsie said...

What an awesome card! You sure did put a lot of love into it. Thanks for joining us over at PCJ.

Hugs,
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Such a very cute card..

Thanks for joining us at SFCC.

Huggies Angel

Saskia said...

Wow, I had to read it and look at it twice before I 'got it'. That's a very clever card, maybe I'll try to make one myself as well.

The snowman stamp is wonderful indeed.

Unknown said...

Really really original project.
I love it so much. Great job !!
Thanks for joining us at SAM Challenge
Hugs
Sandra

fatmonica said...

Gorgeous card!Someone's in for a treat when they receive it!

Vicky Hayes said...

Wow! What an amazing project! Whoever receives this will certainly feel special!

Lesley said...

Great card! I love all the images and folds. Thanks for taking part in the SFCC xx

sue said...

What a great card! I love all the detail and work in the centres! Thanks for sharing with us at Southern Girls :)

Crafting Gill said...

What a fantastic card and idea love it i would love to know how to make this thanks for jouining us at SFCC good luck
xxx

Joy said...

what a creative fold! Thanks for playing with Claudia and Company! JOY DT

Pauline said...

What a fantastic creation! Thank you for such a detailed post of it's construction. Thanks for sharing at For Fun Challenges this week ... come back again soon!
hugs from a wintery Australia,
Pauline

Christine said...

What an amazing card. Thank you for the multiple pictures and instructions. You certainly worked hard on this one! I'm so glad you were able to join us at For Fun Challenges this week.

Helen Dooley said...

Great card! its really different. Thanks for playing along on FOr Fun.

Embley Veronica said...

Love those sweet little mice! Thanks for joining us at For Fun Challenges!