Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, July 4, 2011

Poppy

This is a card I made a couple of weeks back, for one of my sisters. but as her birthday wasn't until last week, and I had to allow extra time for the vagaries of Spanish mail, I didn't want to put it on my blog until now.

This was my first attempt at Sheena Douglas' paint fusion. I have been 'sitting on' the stamps for a while but I have only just been able to source out here the paint she recommends, and when I tried with my usual acrylics, they were just too thin, and I wasn't happy with the results. I am still waiting for a new order of the paints to arrive, so I only have a very limited colour range, but I had enough to attempt the poppy. I had painted it on plain white card which looked rather stark to use as a topper, so in the end I cut the flower and its leaves out, and made a meadow background to mount it on.

For the background I sponged all over the card with distress inks in mustard seed, shabby shutters and peeled paint. I then randomly stamped over it with an Adirondak meadow ink pad and the peeled paint, using Hero arts grasses stamp and several meadow flower stamps by Elusive Images (now Chocolate Baroque). I edged the card with the darker green ink, mounted the poppy and added a green stamped greeting and a butterfly peel-off. I think that was a mistake but I couldn't remove it. Another time I would stamp a small butterfly and colour it. But I was pleased with the card over all and I hope my sister was too.

I am linking this card to
Make it Monday week 44; All paper crafts.
Scrappy Frogs Challenge; Summer flowers.
Stamping Sisters in Christ Challenge 96: Clean and Simple (Well it has no fancy embellishments).
The Paper Shelter Challenge 20: Anything goes.
Craft Room Challenge; Summer birthdays.

14 comments:

fatmonica said...

It's lovely.That poppy is gorgeous!

Kim B said...

Lovely card and that poppy is just stunning. Thanks for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge. Kim x

Maria said...

I think you've done a brilliant job with the paints on the poppy and I love the background as well! Perfect for our summer challenge. Good luck, and thanks for joining in at the Craft-Room Challenge. Maria x

Debi said...

Perfect card for your sister, love how the poppy stands out from the background, thanks for joining us at CRC, Debi x

hazel said...

A beautiful card for the summer - the poppy is lovely. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.

Zoechaos said...

Very pretty card, that poppy looks stunning against the wild flower and grass background. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge, good luck in the draw. XOXO Zoe

Glenda Atkins said...

Fantastic card and I adore your poppy, I have ones just like it blooming in my garden right now. You have done a marvellous job on the colouring (painting) - wow!

Jean said...

Super, beautiful poppy and a lovely card. Jean x

Saskia said...

Wow, well done with the poppy! I know it must be harder than it looks!

Hannah said...

wow thats cool :)
love hannah xx

cheryl said...

oh wow this is just gorgeous hun love love that poppy love those stamps,i have played with those too,hugs cheryl xxxxxx

Esther said...

Beautiful Summery card..love that Poppy! Thanks for joining our Craft-Room Challenge..Esther xx

Mervi said...

Lovely, beautiful entry to my summer birthday theme at Craft-Room Challenge, thanks, good luck;-))m

Kim Dellow said...

Beautiful. I love the poppy. Kim