Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, July 4, 2011

In the pink

When one of your regular blogs sets a challenge to use something you hate, you have the choice to give it a miss this week, or stop muttering and give it a go. I decided to take the latter course, so here is my card using the infamous acetate!
For this card I used a set of images that I have had on my computer for years and I do not know their origin. I know they started as a cat sitting on a window ledge looking out onto the bare branches of a winter tree, and I expanded this into a set so I have one with and without the tree, and with or without the cat, and one of just the frame and just the cat. Using the frame and cat I printed this onto white card, cut and folded it into a standard A6 card, then cut out the window panes. Lightly pencilling around the edge of these to mark their position on the inner right hand side of the card, I used a stamp positioner, (and removed the pencil marks), to stamp inside the card with a winter tree stamp from Elusive Images (now Chocolate Baroque). I used eclipse paper to make a frame mask for this image, and one for the hills, and using a sponge I applied shades of pink/purple inks to the sky - Versacolor in lilac, hyacinth and grape. To make it a bit more 'Christmassy' I stamped the Crafty Individuals Santa and sleigh across the sky. I then gave a suggestion of frost with stardust stickles on the hills and tree branches.

While this was drying, I stamped just the cat image and cut it out. Then I dabbed it on a versamark pad and triple embossed it, rounded it a little, and using silicone glue for dimension, I atached it to the main image. To complete the front I used the same lilac ink pad to stamp a personal Impressions (Dawn Bibby) Christmas tree, SeeDs parcels and Clarity stamps baubles, and added a peel-off greeting that I had coloured with a black permanent marker.

Oh, and of course, I covered the open window panes with a piece of ACETATE, held in place with another window frame on the inside of the card!
It is very hot and sunny here and this card did not photograph well. The base card is white, not pink, but I did my best.

I am entering this card in the following challenges.
Bah! Humbug Challenge 26; Use acetate.
Craftyhazelnuts Christmas Challenge; Use Pink and/or purple.
ABC Challenge; M for monochrome.
For Fun Challenge: To cool off those who are hot!
Creative Friday Challenge 47: Christmas in July.
Our Creative Corner: Christmas in July

17 comments:

Hazel said...

Great use of the acetate (I think I ought to tackle that challenge too) - a beautiful card. Thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 27 - hope to see you again soon. x

Jean said...

Lovely card Kate,I love the picture inside and the gorgeous colours you used for the sky. Jean x

Janice said...

A beautiful card - both inside & out. Love the cat! Jx

Christine B. said...

A lovely card, I love how you've used Glenda's stamp on the inside, a brilliant idea. Hugs x ChrisB

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate, Lovely card, Great, Thanks for coming to play along at the ABC Christmas challenge too! this time hope to see you next time too! :0) Samantha

Annie said...

Very very effective Kate - love the tree.
Ann xxx
Bah! Humbug! DT

Glenda Atkins said...

Wonderful card Kate, you really tackle some adventurous techniques and you do sooo well!! Love it.

Helen Dooley said...

great card. Thanks for playing along on For Fun.

Cards By MI said...

How lovely! It's a wonderful card. Both inside and out. Thanks for playing with us over at For Fun this week.
Love n hugs
Marie

Sharon Wheet said...

your window imagary is so pretty. thank you for playing along with us @ OCC

Kathyk said...

Beautiful - I love the shades you've selected for the night sky

Kathyk

Max said...

So pleased you decided not to cut and run this week ... just look at what we would've missed! Super composition and great use of acetate for the window.
Thank you for sharing with us at Bah! Humbug!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

An Occasional Genius said...

Hi Kate, I'm very pleased you decided to go for it, after all a challenge should do just that!! You've made a wonderful acetate card, so effective & I really love your sky on the inner, it looks fabulous!

Thanks for playing along at Bah Humbug.

Abi - Bah Humbug Guest DT for July

Ruth said...

I just love the cat and the winter scene!

Erin (CelticCrafter) said...

I love this card, Kate! The window is perfect, and the way you did the inside is amazing! I too love the colors of the sky. Of course, the stickles add just the right touch! (And I love that kitty!)

Great to be able to look at your work again (and everyone's)!!!

Erin :)

Ali said...

Everything in your blog is lovely, but I just adore this little cat at the window....and the beautiful winter scene beyond....gorgeous colours in it.

Ali x

Frau Ninchen said...

wow ...great card!
thanks for joining us at creative friday!

xx janina