Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Get Well card for my Grandson

It is ages since I posted again, but I am pleased to say I am almost done making the cards I need finished before I go away in a week´s time. So tonight there is one that I can now post, and that is a get well card I made recently for my Grandson. He is twenty, not the easiest age to make a card for, but he was very poorly with what eventually we knew was Glandular Fever. He is on the mend now, but of course, it will be some time before he is completely recovered, and in the meantime he will be feeling pretty low some days. So I wanted to make something that would make him smile.
It also needed to be something fairly quick and easy to make, as the Spanish snail mail is so unpredictable and it could be a week or more from posting to it arriving. As it happened, this one arrived in two days! but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Anyway here is my card which I made using a paper cut file bought from Treasure Box Designs. It is one of the Bobble Buddies collection.
To prepare the base card I embossed the front to about three-quarters of the way down, and hid the not very good lower line with a vintage sticker strip that has been in my stash for ages. I lightly distressed the edges with walnut stain DI.
The parts for building the bear were svg files which can be made to cut with my Silhouette Cameo machine (if, like me, you have the Designer Edition of software). On the computer screen, I sorted the files into groups for cutting with the various colours, and using the grid on my mat to match their placings, I used various snippets from my boxes and cut them all out.
I highlighted the edges of most of the pieces so that they stood out better when they were stacked, and added a little rosy pink to his cheeks. Then I assembled him and added him to my card.
The sentiment was computer generated so of course, the front section needed to be positioned and printed at the very beginning. It then continued inside the card like this. (The insert looks very wrinkled because I used wet glue to stick it in place, and took the photo before it was dry. It soon flattened out as it dried and I rushed off to get it in the post).
I finished the insert with a small printed version of the little bear that I had added a trail of hearts to, taken from some clip art I found on Google images.
I shall add this to Pixie´s Snippets Playground, and tomorrow I will try to get back with another card that has now been given, so I can show it.


7 comments:

Liz said...

I love this cute little bear! I'm sure it brought a smile to your grandson's face and helped speed his recovery. xx

MaryH said...

Your cameo skills are so amazing. This is a darling little bear, and is bound to bring a smile & big cheer to your grandson. Love the embossing, and really liked the border treatment that you've added. Have a great time while you're away. See ya when you get back and settled into normal once more. TFS & Hugs

MaryH said...

Don't know if my comment 'took', so will try once again. Apologies if you get it twice! Your cameo skills amaze me. This is a darling bear, and the shading details you've added, really bring him to life. Liked the embossing and especially the border treatment at the bottom. This one is bound to bring a smile & cheer to your grandson. Have a good time away, and see ya when you get back home and settled into normal once again. TFS & Hugs.

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh yes, Glandular Fever is no joke - I do hope your son makes a good recovery. Your card is a cutie, and I love how you have assembled it and used your own sentiment.
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

Ah such a cute card, hope the recipient is starting to feel better!

Jean said...

This is a lovely fun card which I am sure made Marcus smile and helped him to feel better. I like the pretty border and the sentiment.
Jean x

Di said...

Wow Kate, what a brilliant snippets card! I do so love how well you use your Cameo. Here's hoping your Grandson feels much better soon.

Hugs

Di xx