Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Fluttering by with some bling.

Goodness, it is a long time since I posted on here, but I haven´t been entirely idle. I have been trying to get all the cards made that I will need during June and July as I am away on holiday for two weeks, and when I come home again, it always takes me a while to get back into the swing of things. Most of those cannot be shared just yet, but here is one I can post, and I made it for the Butterfly Challenge #38: A Butterfly with ´S´for sequins.
I did, of course, cut this butterfly on my Silhouette Cameo machine. The file was bought from the Silhouette store some time ago, just because I thought it was so pretty, so I am glad I have found an opportunity to use it.
I cut it first from a larger patterned paper with some metallic elements in the design, but when I put it over some plain card, it just looked a mess, and the lace design was ´lost´. So I tried again with this tiny floral paper from my stash. I´ve had it for ages and I have no idea where it is from! I then tried placing it over a pale blue card and a pale pink one, trying to match the flowers in the pattern, but it looked very wishy-washy on both of those. So then I tried various darker cards and was surprised to find it looked best on this mid-lilac tone. So that is what I used.
Then it was time for the sequins. I don´t really use sequins. Had I even got any?... Well Yes. In a little box, at the very bottom of a bigger box, hidden away in a dark cupboard that I rarely visit, not only did I unearth some sequins, but some of them were a perfect match for my card. Result! So I glued these on the butterfly body, and the larger flowers on its wings. I even found some tiny shiny dots - mini sequins? - that I added to the smaller flowers.
The butterfly sentiment is a never before inked stamp, make unknown, and the Happy Birthday is a much used Aspects of Design stamp.
So I will flutter over with this to Mrs A´s blog for the Butterfly Challenge, and see how other folk have incorporated sequins in their cards.   

Thank you all for your visits and kind comments. I do appreciate them. I have struggled to find time to visit everyone recently, but I am trying to have a catch-up session tonight.

11 comments:

Jean said...

This is really beautiful Kate, such a pretty butterfly and I love the colours and the dainty patterned paper. I have been searching for sequins today as well, but my card isn't quite finished yet.
Jean x

Jo Perry said...

Love the butterfly (as always), and especially the delicate floral pattern on the paper. 😃

Mrs A. said...

Most definetly a huge hit with me. It surprises me too sometimes how much the different shades and papers can pull a card together.thankyou for fluttering by. Hugs Mrs A.

Kathy said...

Great butterfly card! Love the butterfly sentiment and the sequins.

Kathy said...

Love the butterfly and the sentiment and the sequins. Great card.

KT Fit Kitty said...

Gorgeous butterfly! Love the purple and the gorgeous sequins!

kiwimeskreations said...

Kate this is a stunner - so pretty and the lilac card is the perfect foil.
Blessings
Maxine

Shoshi said...

This is lovely, Kate! Very pretty indeed. Long time no contact - in case you hadn't heard, my news is that I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in January and have had major surgery and now have a permanent ileostomy, and am currently undergoing intensive chemotherapy for 6 months - but I'm doing OK! Hop over to my blog to see the little gifts I've been making for my fellow chemo-ites!

Hope you are well and thriving.

Shoshi

veronica said...

lovely card Kate - as usual!

scrappymo! said...

So pretty, Kate. You have done a great job with the butterfly and sequins brief!

Liz said...

I missed this when it was posted, as we were on holiday. What a super design! I love the colours. A friend is trying to persuade me that I NEED a Silhouette Cameo and I'm going to her house this week to have a play with hers. xx