Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Rudolph Day Challenge # May 2023

I am trying a few different techniques to make cards this year as my hands have not allowed me to do much stamping and colouring, so this month I had a go at casing a card I received last Christmas. I liked it but it didn't lend itself to recycling as the only option would have been to just cut out the whole card front and put it on a new card base - not what I do. 

So instead I used Photoshop to download one of my 'go-to' backing papers and typed the word Peace on to it in upper case letters. Then I isolated each letter and adjusted its size to add interest.

Next I searched though the hundreds, (possibly over a thousand) scrapbook kits that I have on my computer, trying to find a Christmas one that had pictures of the nativity characters that weren't cartoon ones. It turned out I had very little choice but eventually settled on these ones.

I sliced the group of three kings to give one single one that I moved behind the letter 'P' and two that I placed in front of it. I similarly split the two shepherds to put one in each layer, and resized the Mary-Joseph-baby trio to fit nicely into the letter 'C'. 

I then spent ages searching for an angel that was seated and looking down and managed to find one in free clip-art. So I resized her to sit on top of the A.

When I was happy with the composition, I cropped it to fit on a DL card and printed it. 

Then I ungrouped the layers and removed the three front layer elements to print separately, and finally removed the back layer leaving only the script. I was able to trace this, and cut it from some gold textured paper in my silhouette, also cutting a simple star from my library.

After many years of using my silhouette cameo machine, I have now learned to successfully use the print and cut feature, (I have had very mixed results up to now but I think I have finally cracked it!), so I took my three printed foreground characters, traced them in the silhouette software and sent them to cut out. 

Then it was a case of gluing the background picture to a DL base card, adding the gold letters and star, and then decoupaging the two kings, the shepherd and the angel with a little silicone glue to give them some dimension.

All this was a bit time consuming but once I was happy with how it came together, I made three more identical ones very quickly, and would be able to make more just as easily if I need them.

I know there is more detail here than some of you need to see, but I know some folk like to see how a card is made so hopefully I have answered all your questions.

Now it is time to link up to the Rudolph day Challenge at Scraps of life by Scrappy Mo.

11 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

It may have taken you a long time to arrive a the finished card Kate, but it was worth it. The end result is wonderful and a great take on the traditional scene, I love it. Thanks for joining in the fun at Rudolph Days this month.

Sue xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
Happy Rudolf Days.
As always you have created such fabulous creations and your creativity is so brillant.
Love the backing paper used and the addition of the wonderful word PEACE in gold.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

LesleyG said...

Wow that’s really amazing to see how these came together. A lot of work, but what a great result, I’m in awe Kate! Xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Beautiful work Kate and a stunning card - well done on finding another way to make your cards, and awesome that you have mastered yet another skill with the cameo!!.
Blessings
Maxine

Linby said...

This is such an effective design. I'm sorry you are able to stamp much at the moment, but you certainly put your talents to use making these cards.

Carol L said...

I think it's just amazing how you put this card together! I'm impressed with those who successfully use the Silhouette machine in this way. The nativity elements are perfect with the large PEACE letters in gold. Beautifully crafted!

scrappymo! said...

Oh my goodness, Kate! You are a whiz on your Silhouette machine. Your card is stunning and I love that you took the first photo of the individual card that shows us the detail your card contains.
I hope one day to figure out the print and cut too, but still at the playing around with it stage!
Thanks for taking part in the Rudolph Days Challenge!

Di said...

Wow Kate - what a determined lady you are - these cards are beautiful! I always like to read exactly how people reached their end result - plus, I do the same as a prompt for myself in the future if I want to do a remake!

I'm with you about upcycling cards - it wouldn't seem right to stick a whole card front onto a card front and call it my own - and a lot of the fun is working out how to make the best of part of a shop bought card. Although I'm not clever enough to actually set to and create my own version as you did!

Hugs
Di xx

Kate said...

I love your detailed explanations Kate! Thank You!! Hugs, Kate!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I thought I had commented on this wonderful card Kate? I'm like you, so many kits to choose from, but not many with traditional Christmas figures. These are gorgeous and so is your beautifully designed card. I've always loved my print and cut feature, so good to hear you have come to grips with it.
Faith x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I knew I had missed a couple of posts Kate, but I was sure I had commented on this beautiful card. I think what you have done here is so clever and beautiful too.
Faith x