Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Deck the Halls...

Now I like a little bit of bling on my cards, especially at Christmas, but I don't usually go for lots of glitter, but this week our theme at Humbug Hall was to use Glitz and Glitter, so I have done my best to rise to the challenge.

Yesterday afternoon, (after a big lunch and lovely walk along the beach, which you can read about here), I could have done with a bit of a siesta, but my village art group - manualidades, where I go to meet with some of the local Spanish ladies, reopened after the summer break. So I hastily collected together my latest Sheena Douglas stamps and some acrylic paints and off I went. One and a half hours later I came home with one holly branch painted. The rest of my time had been spent showing some of the ladies how I use stamping to get an image, and chatting about their work.

Anyway, in the evening I decided to make use of the little I had done, and as I sat looking at it I thought that somewhere I had a stamp of the opening lines of the song 'Deck the halls with boughs of holly' so maybe I could put them together. And that is what I did.I didn't want to hide all my painting under a lot of glitter so I just 'frosted' it with a clear stickles glitter glue. I then used a set of nesties labels and my cuttlebug to cut a mount out of starburst card. I have two types of this so I chose the rougher one as it has more sparkle. I was going to layer this on red, but it was already quite large, so instead I edged it with a red permanent marker. Using a smaller label die I cut a second piece and edged it in the same way, and on it I stamped the line from the song which turned out to be a Crafter's Companion stamp. It didn't stamp very well on the rough glitter card but I enhanced it with a black marker, and it is readable now. For the base card I used some plain green card which I stamped randomly with a holly sprig stamp by Clarity.

This card is for:
Bah Humbug Challenge 40: Glitz and Glitter.
Crafty Ann's Challenge 51: Inspired by a Christmas song.
Simon Says...:Sparkle and Bling.
Just Some Lines Challenge: Reminds me of a song.
Fab's Big Christmas Card October Challenge: Something Shiny and/or Snowflakes.

Of course, I am also linking it to Stamping for Joy so Shirley-Anne can add it to my total.

13 comments:

Crazicards Crafty Blog said...

Oh Kate this is lovely :O)

Fab said...

¡Hola! Me gusta mucho tu tarjeta, ;) Thanks for joining my crimbo challenge ! x Fab

Jean said...

Lovely traditional christmas card Kate, I just love the look of holly and red berries at christmas.You made good use of your painted piece too, and the sparkle shows up well in the photo. jean x

Melissa Bove said...

This is gorgeous!! Love all that bling!!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

Hugs...
Melissa

Chelsea said...

lovely card ... thanks for playing along at Just Some Lines!

Shirley-Anne said...

Hi Kate .Wonderful Christmas card which just seems to have fallen into place . Love that holly image and your handmade background is perfect. just the right ammount of glitter , I think .Thanks for sharing this on my Christmas card challenge spot . I will add to your tally .
hugs Shirley-Anne

Ann Whitfield said...

This is really lovely Kate, and the frosting if stickles is just the right amount. Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Ann's
Ann x

Saskia said...

That's definitely a blingy and shiny card! Clever outlining with a permanent marker.I always find myself singing christmas songs once I plubge myself into making christmas cards!

Jenn Borjeson said...

So pretty!!! Thank you for joining our "Reminds Me of a Song" challenge at Just Some Lines! :)

Di said...

Just love it Kate - like the sparkle too :) Di xx PS Let me know if you'd like some of the Guitar Playing LOTV images stamped and popped into the post for you! It's no trouble.

fatmonica said...

It's a lovely card-I love those holly leaves!

Annie said...

Thanks for your fabulous entry - so sorry to be so late commmenting but Max and I are meeting up this weekend and as you can imagine one of us is busy packing and the other knee deep in cleaning duties to make sure all is spick and span for the visit.
So excited. Have a great weekend and hope you'll have chance to join in our new challenge which started yesterday - it's all about FOOD.
The Bah! Humbug! Duo
Ann and Max xxx

Jen said...

Lovely card, your painting is super. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Ann's this week.
Jen x