Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, May 30, 2011

Gingerbread anyone?

First let me say welcome to my new followers. It is lovely to see you. Thanks for joining me. I hope we can share some great ideas together.

Once again I have turned to digistamps for todays card. I am still not completely sold on them. The majority of images are what I call 'cute' and I don't usually do cute, but they are often more suitable for some of the challenges I am enjoying doing. Although they can't be transferred using different types of ink as a stamp can, making them less suitable for copic markers, embossing etc, they do have the advantage of no storage needed, and they can be resized and cropped as I have done here. I started with the gingerbread tree image from Pinkcat studio. One challenge involved using Kraft card and I wasn't even sure what that was. I looked it up and it seems to be basically recycled brown paper/card. I have no access to that as a craft item out here but I remembered a packet of envelopes bought in a pack from the QVC seconds shop in Shrewsbury, which I haven't used because I was unsure of their weather durability, so I dug those out. I printed the stamp on the envelope front and added some colour using Sakura permapaque pens. I didn't like it on the brown background so I then cut all the little men out and glued them onto the same image printed onto white paper which I had already cut into a circle and distressed with adirondak cranberry ink. I then used the rest of the envelope to cover a square white card. (It has a hole in the middle where I have cut out the image, but it is hidden under the layering!). I then made the matting layers from some lovely red, metallic, embossed card, and green paper from a huge docrafts Christmas stack. A couple of pieces of sticky ribbon made the stripes, but I wanted a suitable greeting and was a bit stuck. Then I resized and cropped the original image and printed out a single gingerbread man on one of the envelope flaps, and made him a tiny greeting banner to hold.

This card is for the following challenges:

ABC Christmas Challenge: K is for Kids, using Kraft card
Cute Card Thursday Challenge 166: Using a sketch
Creative Card Crew: Anything goes
Paper Crafting Journey: Anything goes
CRAFT Challenge 104: Alter/recycle (envelope)

12 comments:

carol said...

super creation, great recycling...
thanks for sharing your creation with us at CRAFT this week, x carol

Saskia said...

I'm no fan of digistamps but I do like this gingerbread men tree.

Angel said...

superb !!.i am always for recycling .
this is fantastic.

Jean said...

Lovely cute little gingerbread men. Jean x

Made by Mandy said...

OOh what a cute image, that must have taken a lot of cutting out. I love going to the QVC shop in Shrewsbury, not been recently but have had loads of amazing bargains from there (as long as no-one has pinched loads out of it of course!)

Thanks for sharing :)

Love Mandy xxx

happyglitzygirl said...

Cute card and great images, thanks for playing with us at the Papercrafting Journey, blessings Hilde

Heidi said...

Adorable card! Thanks for playing along with the ABC Christmas challenge.

Annie said...

Hi Kate
LOve your gingerbread men card. Thank you so much for your fab comments on my blog about my scrap book pages - I'm very new to scrapping but I love it. As well as trying to do pages the normal way I'm also using Serif Craft Artist which has helped me so much. It's an incredible programme and so easy to use. You can just use the ready done pages and drag your photos in if you want or you can be so creative it's not true.
At the moment I'm doing 8" x 8" pages which of course go through the printer easily. I print and then add some embellishment to bring a bit of 3D in.
I know you want to work larger and I've no idea about large printers but when I asked on Daisy Trail (serif's site and forum) many people recommended saving the pages and having them professionally printed. They gave companies in England and the US so I really don't know about Spain but sure there will be one. It cost about 80p over here which isn't bad and is something I will have done when I feel like doing 12" x !12" pages.
Hope that helps you. Do visit Daisy Trail as I am sure someone will be able to tell you more - they are so helpful
Ann xxx

Helen said...

This is fab - great improvising with the 'kraft'!
Thanks for joining us at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
Helen x

Anonymous said...

Hi ya, great job with the kraft!!! Love it! Thanks for joining us this time no the ABC Christmas Challenge, hugs Samantha x

Hannah said...

aww there cute. i love them.
love hannah xx

Hannah said...

aww there cute. i love them.
love hannah xx