Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Snow in summer!

It seems strange to be making an icy scene when I am sitting here in a thin summer dress with the sun pouring in through the window, but my aim was to make a card that incorporates ice, a die cut and the colour blue, so that I could enter it for two challenges, something that I don't normally do. And here is what I made.


For making backgrounds I am a big fan of the Dreamweaver stencils, of which I have several. This time I chose the snowflake background (no longer available I don't think) and used it in a rather different way. I layed it onto plain paper and scanned it, and used the picture to cut it out with my Craft Robo. It took me half an hour to pick out all the little pieces but the result is this very delicate web of snowflakes which I think was well worth the effort. (The photo is not very good because I took it in artificial light, but it is cut from silver paper and laid onto dark blue card).


Next I printed out a piece of indigo paper from the Artylicious CD Seasons' Greetings and used it to cover a white card, leaving a narrow border all round. I then used a glue pen to attach the snowflakes.

For the panel I stamped an image from a Woodware set of clear stamps, and added a little colour with copic pens. I cut it out using a nestabilities die, and then used the corresponding scalloped rectangle die to cut a mat from blue card sprayed with 'that special touch' silver mica mist. I mounted this onto the base card and decided it needed something else. So I cut a large snowflake from very pale blue pearlescent paper, using a craft robo template bought from www.craftsuprint.co.uk, then made it smaller and cut it again from white paper. In the centre I stuck a pale blue circle cut using the smallest classic circle nestability die, and found a tiny greeting and snowflake to stick on it.


The whole card was a little flat, and I felt the dark blue had made my snowflakes look more grey than silver, so I livened it up by randomly adding some stickles Icicle glitter glue all over the design.


The challenges I am entering this card for are ABC Christmas Challenge; 'I' for Indigo, Ice and Inspiration
and
Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas Challenge 18; 'Using a die cut'

8 comments:

veronica said...

fantastic card Kate - you have the patience of a saint! have something for you on my blog..........

Jean said...

I love this card Kate. The snow flake background looks great and the little robin is realy cheery. Jean x

Hazel said...

What a lot of detail to cut on the robo - and then patiently pick out the little bits - well worth the effort because it's a stunning card. Thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 18 - hope to see you again soon. x

Saskia said...

Smart use of the Robo and your stencil. And a great card as a result!

Janice said...

A lot of work has gone into this one, but as you say, it's paid off with a lovely result. Great backing on a lovely card. Jx

Anonymous said...

Wow really pretty, love all the detail! you did an awesome job! Thanks for playing along with us on the ABC Christmas Challenge, hugs Samantha :0)

Brenda Dean said...

WOW! This is incredible. What detailed work!

Thanks for playing the ABC Christmas Challenge.

Helen said...

Gorgeous card - those snowflakes are fabulous!
Thanks for joining us at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
Helen x