Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Magic!

We are making kinetic cards for the Bah! Humbug! challenge this week. There are not so many entries this time so maybe folk are finding it a bit difficult. I decided to make a magic slider card, a technique I learned with Hazel from Horseshoe crafts, back in the days when it was my local craft shop. I spent many happy days in her workshops, and learned lots of new ideas. I haven't made another card like this since then, so when I got a bit stuck I looked on the net for tutorials to jog my memory. I found several but the one that followed the same method as I was trying to use was by Christina of Card-Making-Magic. Thank you Christina.

I chose some beige linen effect card for my stamped image, which is a cute nativity scene from Penny Black. I stamped it with Memento tuxedo black so I could use copic markers to add some colour. Then I stamped it again with Stazon on to acetate, and assembled it as per the tutorial. To decorate the front frame I used a home made script stamp (using imagepac), and a variety of small silhouette stamps from SeeD's, Stampendous pefectly clear, and Crafty Individuals. Because of the textured surface of the card, these did not work too well, so I touched them up with a black memento pen. I have found this such a useful little item to keep to hand. A small piece of organza ribbon threaded through the eyelet will encourage the recipient to 'pull' and reveal the magic.

Although a child would love this mechanism, it
is perhaps not colourful enough to attract them, but even an adult would enjoy the surprise element of it.

I am entering this card in Bah! Humbug! Challenge 20; Kinetic Cards

9 comments:

veronica said...

lovely one Kate -will have to check the link out now, as have never got around to making one of these

Jean said...

A nice cute card with a lovely surprise element. Jean x

Annie said...

love this - never done one but always fancied having a go.
Ann xxx
Bah! Humbug! DT

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

I love this card. hannah still has the fairy one you made for her a long time ago. It lives on her windowsill so is a it faded but still lovely. Jo x

Anonymous said...

oops, should have previewed my comment, " so it is a bit faded"

Clare Lloyd said...

a really great idea. i must try one myself. so cute and colourful. thanks for joining this week's challenge at bah! humbug! x

themessycraftroom said...

A lovely card. Like many others I have never got around to trying this idea. Hugs x ChrisB

Max said...

Oooooh Kate ... you can do MAGIC!
I've always loved this effect but never been brave enough to attempt it. Thank you for sharing with us at Bah! Humbug!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

Hannah said...

I've still got the one you made me :)